What's new

✅ SOLVED Interesting, can anyone dicipher this?

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this at my 1800s home permission over the weekend. It appears to be some sort of stamp. The letters are tiny and the piece is broken in two. I believe it is made of lead. Its heavy and non metallic. I put the white paint on it in an attempt to bring out the letters. I think it has the date 1880 on it but i cant figure out the rest. I would love to know what it says and what was its use.
 

Attachments

  • 20190303_193644.webp
    20190303_193644.webp
    183.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190303_193250.webp
    20190303_193250.webp
    113.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190303_193212.webp
    20190303_193212.webp
    115.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190303_193141.webp
    20190303_193141.webp
    104.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 20190303_193021.webp
    20190303_193021.webp
    393.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190303_192942.webp
    20190303_192942.webp
    866 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190303_192855.webp
    20190303_192855.webp
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20190303_192843.webp
    20190303_192843.webp
    866 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190302_180811.webp
    20190302_180811.webp
    328.2 KB · Views: 104
Its a lead linotype using in printing like newspapers
 
Upvote 0
try the lead pencil rub methods and the read it backwards - imo
Brady
 
Upvote 0
My eyes arent very good but ill give the mirror a try.
 
Upvote 0
If the mirror approach doesn't work for your eyes, bring one of your photos into PowerPoint then reverse it and enlarge. You can also use the sharpen feature and tweak colors to bring out more detail.
 
Upvote 0
That will be cool to see what it says I love mysteries
 
Upvote 0
Says "For a good time call Joyce".

(gee I hope your wifes name isn't joyce)
 
Upvote 0
I can see the 1880 and something about the Knights Templar ...Yep I'm sure of it

Nice Find!
 
Upvote 0
If the mirror approach doesn't work for your eyes, bring one of your photos into PowerPoint then reverse it and enlarge. You can also use the sharpen feature and tweak colors to bring out more detail.

Also if you have an ink pad, try pressing the slug against that followed by paper. Then use a magnifying glass to read...
 
Upvote 0
Nice piece of Linotype. It was made in a large machine that used lead to create the text one line at a time.

If you have not had any luck reading it yet, try putting a piece of paper over it and gently rub it with the edge of a pencil lead ... much like doing a rubbing of a tombstone. That will give you an image that you may be able to read in a mirror.
 
Upvote 0
I solved it! I used photo editor and it says.... "Possible To Donate Even In Need" Not as exciting as i hoped but still pretty cool
 

Attachments

  • 20190302_180556 (2).webp
    20190302_180556 (2).webp
    152.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190302_180543 (2).webp
    20190302_180543 (2).webp
    109.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190302_180811 (2).webp
    20190302_180811 (2).webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom