What's new

Interesting find.

k0bgalan

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
275
Reaction score
837
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
All Garrett: Ace 250 (two), AceApex, VX-9. Have owned just about every Garrett ever made. First three detecter I made myself, with the first one in 1962.
Yesterday, I attended a service for a friend who passed away several months ago. It was held at Ft. Stanton, a military cemetery and museum. The latter we attended afterwards. I was surprised to see a small collection of antique bottles. I ask about them, but scant information was available. All they could say was that they were over 100 years old. Still makes we wonder why a military museum would have bottles relics?
 
Yesterday, I attended a service for a friend who passed away several months ago. It was held at Ft. Stanton, a military cemetery and museum. The latter we attended afterwards. I was surprised to see a small collection of antique bottles. I ask about them, but scant information was available. All they could say was that they were over 100 years old. Still makes we wonder why a military museum would have bottles relics?
First of all condolences to you on the loss of your friend.

No photo of the bottles?

Medicine bottles, liquor, and extract were still needed in the military.

Given the long diverse history of the fort, I wouldn't have really thought anything different myself seeing them on display.
Screenshot 2026-09-29 at 7.55.56 AM.webp
 
I googled why the Ft Stanton museum had bottles displayed and it answered that they were recovered from the trash dumps of the site and reflect the multi usage of the facility as a fort, at one time a sanatorium, and later an internment facility for German merchant sailors during WW2. Never been there myself, but it sounds interesting. Hope that answer helps
 
That's interesting history at Fort Stanton. There is a book that catalogs and describes with images the thousands of bottles recovered from Fort Union, NM, and from Fort Laramie, WY, dating back to 1849 to 1891. Excavation by the Dept. of the Interior.
The book, BOTTLES ON THE WESTERN FRONTIER is authored by Rex L. Wilson, University of Arizona Press, my edition is 1981. It's a keeper!

book bottles on the W F.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom