INTERESTING FLOATING ROCK (NOT PUMICE).. HELP PLEASE! THX! :)

mar83

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI to everyone!:hello:

I've found this rock in KAREKARE beach near Auckland (West coast of North island- New Zealand).

Light grey color with several dark crystals included , very fractured (like clay), quite hard consistency, scratching with a metal key it shows very shallow marks...and it FLOATS!!

This rock is really solid and doesn't have any porosity and to me looks more like an Argillite (floating one?)... so If I exclude Pumice I don't have any idea of what could be!

PS: The dark material visible in some of the the fracture is sand.

Thank you! :)

Attachments

• 20160408_083344.jpg
    20160408_083344.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 103

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Might it be Petrified Bone?

Petrified Bone unlike Wood may float if an air pocket is inside.

Petrified Bone will react to acid, wood does not.

Petrified Bones 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Petrified Bone unlike Wood may float if an air pocket is inside.

Petrified Bone will react to acid, wood does not.

View attachment 1296670

I don't have any knowledge on this, but could it be a fossil Dinosaur egg? Would that float?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mar83

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx to everybody!:notworthy:

Mmmm.. for the moment I d say that the @MUD HUT "theory" of a meerschaum/sepiolite is the most probable...

I ve even notice that when you break it smells of sulfur, so might be the saturation of this gas to allows the floating??:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"This rock is really solid and doesn't have any porosity..."

Place a drop or two of water on the dry rock. If the water soaks into the rock, then it is porous. If the water beads on top, the rock is not porous.

Another idea is to weigh the rock dry. Then soak the rock in a bucket of water overnight. Allow the outter surface to thoroughly dry, then weigh again. If the 2nd weight is greater, it is porous.

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"If it Looks Like a Duck, Quacks, Walks, Like a "Duck...It Still May Not Be a Duck!

I wish!!eheh :tchest:

...but it s a rock 100%!!

The "Internet" states the only rock that "Floats" is "Pumice"

Pumice is vesicular or has gas pockets, or in easier terms, holes on the outside of the rock. This makes the rock less dense so it will float on water.

If it is not "Pumice" and "Floats" than it is "Not" a "Rock"

Try posing on Treasure Net Forum Member he may have the answer
Dustedyou
Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html

Upvote 0

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Internet" states the only rock that "Floats" is "Pumice"

Pumice is vesicular or has gas pockets, or in easier terms, holes on the outside of the rock. This makes the rock less dense so it will float on water.

If it is not "Pumice" and "Floats" than it is "Not" a "Rock"

Try posing on Treasure Net Forum Member he may have the answer
Dustedyou
Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...ified-post-here-gimme-good-picture-3-4-a.html

Meerschaum floats ..not all of it but a lot of it floats.

Upvote 0

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. It almost looks like a ball of old clay.

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
“Rocks and minerals: the oldest storytellers.”

Meerschaum floats ..not all of it but a lot of it floats.

Meerschaum is a mineral
Meerschaum is a hydrous magnesium silicate; its technical name is sepiolite. It is found in veins or naturally occuring lumps in Turkey and neighboring countries. It has been used extensively for pipe bowls and is highly prized because it carves easily, holds wonderful detail, and, when smoked over a long period of time, takes on a glass-like surface and deep plum-red colour.
Sepiolite,[4] also known as meerschaum ( i/ˈmɪərʃɔːm/ MEER-shawm or /ˈmɪərʃəm/ MEER-shəm, German for foam of the sea) is a soft white clay mineral

There are over 500 minerals that "Float"

"A rock is a solid, inorganic, naturally-formed substance without a particular atomic structure or chemical composition. It's probably easier to just remember that rocks are made up of two or more minerals."

"My Research Shows" Only "One Rock" really "Rocks" when it comes to "Floating" and that is "Pumice"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread