What's new

Interesting half dollar find - need input

skelly9131

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
124
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
I found a 1964 Kennedy half in a box yesterday with the obverse on both sides. It failed the sound test, so it's clearly not silver and I'm assuming it's counterfeit. Has anyone ever seen or found one of these? Why would someone make a counterfeit with Kennedy's mug on both sides? I don't get it.
 
Upvote 0
So they could win every coin toss!
 
Possible it could be a magician's coin but I never saw one made out of a 64 before. Does it sound hollow?
 
Possible it could be a magician's coin but I never saw one made out of a 64 before. Does it sound hollow?
It's definitely not hollow. I don't have a proper scale to weigh it, but I would guess it weighs as much as a non-silver half. It's also a dark greyish color, has a crude rim and some flaws on both sides.
 
All the ones I have come across are machined out on one side carefully keeping the reeded edge intact, while another coin is thinned and slightly reduced in diameter to remove the reeded edge. The smaller and thinner half is then placed in the hollowed out half coin.

Look with a good magnifier and light source, where the lower field on one side of the coin, meets up to the reeded edge. They can be force fit or glued together.

Sometimes done as a novelty to sell, to fool people on a coin toss, or a machinist apprentice fooling around. I have also heard of them being sawed in half and glued together, but the sawed ones are easier to detect.
 
Ummm....
 

Attachments

  • Useless.webp
    Useless.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 572
mountainman 2 said:
Possible it could be a magician's coin but I never saw one made out of a 64 before. Does it sound hollow?
Yeah that'd be my thought on it, a trick coin; you know heads I win "tail's" you loooose!
 
AGC is correct. Picture please.

It is most likely a trick coin it may not sound hollow but it will sound different.

Mojo
 
I'll try and get some pic's posted tonight.
 
skelly9131 said:
I'll try and get some pic's posted tonight.

Smack it against the floor really hard. (NOt the carpet!) If it is a magician's coin, as I suspect, it should pop apart on impact.
 
jrf30 said:
skelly9131 said:
I'll try and get some pic's posted tonight.

Smack it against the floor really hard. (NOt the carpet!) If it is a magician's coin, as I suspect, it should pop apart on impact.

Don't do this as it will surley ruin it.

If it can come apart shaking it in a thick jar will cause it to open. But a two headed coin is probably glued togeather are weren't ment to come apart. That is why, I suspect that it dosen't sound hollow like a trick coin.

Mojo
 
I have one but mine is definately silver- weight is heavy cause the obverse has more protusion than the reverse. Nice for coin tosses. HH Mark
 
I never found one that had kennedy on both sides. I did however find one that was larger than normal and failed the silver tests. I assumed it was couterfeit but kept it anyway.

golden silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom