Interesting interference

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
McKinley interferance.jpg

This is the school I went to in the 70's.

I was there today to tune in my sounds and numbers where it is real easy.

This time there is a massive interference that renders the detector useless.

The circled area is where I went to try to get out of the reach of the noise.

No go.

I have been there before with my Pro with no issues. This year with the Nox, it is impossible.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried going through the frequencies individually rather than using the multi-freq mode?
I hope I don't sound like an idiot. My new 600 arrives tommorow but I've been doing tons of research and online tutes to learn as much as I can before opening the box.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I really don't think it would matter. The interference is obscene. I have never seen anything like before. No overhead wires, miles from the closest electric fence....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We assume you did a noise cancel and lowered the sensitivity and that didn't help? As Gopher mentioned, try some single frequencies and the Gold modes to see if that helps. I'm finding more and more that WiFi signals are becoming a problem with many detectors in urban areas.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Blame Aliens or Morlocks ! I have it happen to me Occasionally on my Explorer SE's .

Seriously Though, The Site I have it happen to me is Beside a fire House.
Is there a chance of Some type of radio Frequencies are being used occasionally there ?

the Usual area For me

000aaa.jpg

gratzpm - Copy.jpg

Only once I had to leave the Complete area of the park seen above.

Most times the rest of the area is Good & Eventually I can wander back in & hunt it
when the interference stops.

Only excuse I can come up with is Something Temporary.

No there are no Abundance of Wires. and the area Just North of the Blob has as many wires
as the area of The blob

Interesting that Could be my Black Jimmy There , But a Drone would only account for one Time

000gratzpm - Copy.jpg

He could Not have been there Videoing the same area For You Tube,
every time I was there detecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I had the same issue at another school in town. This time there was a new line in the grass where they had run some power wires. If I stayed away from the immediate area I was fine. In the small affected area, it was just as bad as the first school. I actually narrowed the interference to a small, one foot area where it was the worst. Right over the new wires.

Incidentally, I found the second biggest coin spill there I have found so far. I lost count at around 15 coins in a 4 x 8 area.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Went back to the second school again today. The interference was way worse today so I went to the other side of the school and hit the other playground along with a small amount of turf. One thing that is getting annoying is that every single 35-40 signal I hit turns out to be an iron screw. And always inch and a half.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post all your settings that you are using on the Nox, and whether it's a 600 or 800.. Maybe we can see something that might help.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Its is an 800.

I don't remember what the setting were at the time. I keep re-reading the manual and learning new stuff. One example is the noise cancel, I was doing it wrong. I had the procedure mixed up with something else. I have not been back to that school since. I don't really care that much about that specific location any way. I did find the interference odd though. I am doing noise cancel frequently now. I don't know if I have advanced in the past 9 days or so, but my success rate is much higher. Granted, I have been cheating a bit and hitting the wood chips at the schools to learn the machine in a "gimme" situation. I found that the top of a pencil rings up at a 12 or 13 just like a nickle. I found that pennies and dimes can both ring up at 25. I have learned that every high 30's signal is a steel bolt or screw.

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I went back for a few minutes. Whatever the interference was was turned off. I went to the basketball posts and hit around them. Nothing but pennies.

Pro tip for you. If you have lots of somalians in your area, go to where they play basketball. Search the areas around the court because they take the coins out of their pockets and toss the free money they got in the grass so it won't chafe their legs when they play. All you are going get is modern clad, but it pays for batteries.

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t give up on the high 30’s, half’s, silver dollars and silver rings in that range

OP
OP
F

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
Yeah, I know, but the iron that rung up as iron on my pro rings up as good stuff on my Nox. Pisses me off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread