Interesting....Panzer Ace: Michael Wittmann

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
This episode of Tanks chronicles the exploits of SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann (1914-1944)

Michael Wittmann's later actions are known to most readers in the Normandy campaign. However, Wittmann began his career as a tank ace in actually an assault gun; the StuG III. In the Ukraine Whitmann found success with the StuG III against T-34's. He was credited with several victories during this time. On July 12, 1941, Wittmann received the first of many awards; the Iron Cross Second Class. When asked, at the presentation of the medal, if he had any special requests, Wittmann requested that a T-34 crew be given treatment afforded any brave soldier. His request was granted. Whitmann was awarded the; Iron Cross First Class on September 8th, 1941. Wittmann, his crew, and their StuG III nicknamed "Buzzard" were quickly making a name for themselves fighting against superior T-34/76.

P1

P2

P3

P4

P5

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you liked it Don Jose youre welcome,i enjoyed it pretty much also.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude... this link will be forwarded to an old Army buddy. I haven't watched all of them yet, but he was a big time history buff of the Nazis, a true combat leader, competent. I imagine he'll enjoy the link.
Robin

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting videos

Here's something else you probably didn't know.

Ian Fleming the well know British author/journalist, was also a history buff and was indeed very familiar with Herr Wittmann. The number 007, for his James Bond character came from his knowledge of Wittmanns tank in his final battle. He always said that Wittmann was the perfect assassin.......

OK, probably not true, but it sounded good to me :thumbsup: :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red James cash, you best be careful... I think desertfox may be a relative of Rommel and not liking to have to play second fiddle to Wittmann :laughing7:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing9: spart. Hopefully so,that would make for some interesting conversation. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread