Interesting picture & update.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 400.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 400.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 415
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 405.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 405.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 645
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 075.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 075.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 400.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 400.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 408
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 416.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 416.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 434.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 434.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 459.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 459.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 510.jpg
    Thames Valley Metal Detecting Club 510.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 422

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Re: Interesting picture.

I wonder what was the purpose of the tall pole in the background? It appears that it is two poles tied together to get that height. There seems to be diagonal traces that may be guidelines. Flagpole would not have been that tall. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

GrayCloud said:
I wonder what was the purpose of the tall pole in the background? It appears that it is two poles tied together to get that height. There seems to be diagonal traces that may be guidelines. Flagpole would not have been that tall. :icon_scratch:
No idea on that one. :coffee2:

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GrayCloud said:
Loadspeaker What else?

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hang em high? on the pole question.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Found this about flag poles;

Flagpoles have undergone a number of dramatic changes since people started flying flags. Prior to the industrial revolution, flagpoles were made exclusively from wood. Although a few companies today still practice this craft, most flagpole manufacturers today use more durable materials. To produce a wooden flagpole, a carpenter would actually cut down a suitable straight tree and would neatly trim and prune the tree until it resembled a shaft-like pole. It was then simply planted into the ground with a flag tied to the top of the tree, thus becoming a flagpole. For a smoother, more refined look, spruce or pine trees were processed and used for flagpoles. These trees would be shaped with knives and then sanded to a smooth finish. Animal fat was then used as a preservative and rubbed over the entirety of the pole for several days to ensure the wood was totally saturated with the fat. In the hands of an expert, these poles could remain functional for over 50 years. These flagpoles were very attractive, but due to their direct installation into the ground, they typically rot at the base. One pole in particular was erected in Glenwood, Arizona in 1911. At over 110 feet tall, this extremely well crafted wooden flagpole lasted until 1964, when it was replaced by a steel pole.

Even though flag poles may not be very high. I would say that for the time frame and the height of the surrounding trees, they made the flag pole that high so it can be seen from a distance.

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:hello: :icon_thumleft: Take a closer look at the top of the pole. Do you see it. I can make out the U.S. flag. It's like its almost ghost-like, but its there. You can make out the Union of the flag and the Stripes.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound

I do see what you are talking about and it does appear to be a flag. :dontknow:
But I just cannot see a pole that flimsy looking supporting the flag in wind. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions