interesting rock "updated with pics"

fasttracker

Sep 19, 2008
interesting rock "updated with pics"

Hello all

I have had a rock that i found when i was a kid and need help to id it. It is very heavy and about the size of a walnut. It gives off a shiny metallic luster and is composed in what looks like compressed layers of flat sheets of this material. the sheets overhang in some places but wont flake off and seem very solid. Also there is a quartz vein that runs through it and upon closer inspection, the vein has small shiny gold like crystals on it. sorry i will get a picture on here soon...also it sets off my detector

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Re: interesting rock

Hi! Welcome!

A pic would be best for us, so we will have to wait until you can post one. Also, the location the rock came from would be very helpful.

Good luck! HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fasttracker

Sep 19, 2008
Re: interesting rock

here are the pics...thinkin it might be lead or a form of pyrite?

Attachments

• fixed 2.JPG
    fixed 2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: interesting rock "updated with pics"

Looks like silver to me. I have seen silver look like that!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fasttracker

Sep 19, 2008

really..that would be awesome :o..it is very heavy and it did seem almost tarnished when i dug it out of my box o rocks from the last time i looked at it (like 4 years ago ha)

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

Could be silver or pyrite. Break a tiny flake off and try to crush it. If it breaks into a bunch of tiny pieces, it is pyrite. If it is malleable (bends) it is probably silver.

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

I use to have a piece that looked like that, except it was black. I have no idea.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fasttracker

Sep 19, 2008

allen_idaho said:
Could be silver or pyrite. Break a tiny flake off and try to crush it. If it breaks into a bunch of tiny pieces, it is pyrite. If it is malleable (bends) it is probably silver.

I took a tiny chisel to one corner and all it seemed to do was put a crease in it...the flakes are very solid..Im thinkin this actually is silver!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fasttracker

Sep 19, 2008

allen_idaho said:
It very well could be. I'd suggest taking a piece of it in to a jeweler and have them take a look at it.

Thanks...since i go to KSU ill prolly bring it in and have a geologist prof. take a look at it..i have never even heard of silver nuggets or seen them b4..are they common??

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

Yes, they do exist. They form in much the same way that gold would. Chances are that it was eroded out of a quartz vein somewhere. Then again, there is always the possibility that it came from a mine.

Upvote 0

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fasttracker,
From the photo it looks like a mineral called Galena - Lead Sulfide, PbS. Your sample shows the correct cleavage and cubic fracture of this mineral. Here in CO galena does contain silver (Ag) and sometimes large amounts of silver to boot!
Nice specimen.
3xflyfisher

Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

3xflyfisher said:
Fasttracker,
From the photo it looks like a mineral called Galena - Lead Sulfide, PbS. Your sample shows the correct cleavage and cubic fracture of this mineral. Here in CO galena does contain silver (Ag) and sometimes large amounts of silver to boot!
Nice specimen.
3xflyfisher

I totally agree here, and as was said, some galena is chock FULL of silver. I found a lot of it back in the mid 90's that was VERY silver rich. I would definitely have it looked at and be back where it was found real quickly if it turns out to be rich in silver content.

Best o' luck
~Nash~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread