Interesting screw

SOG Fielder

Greenie
Jan 17, 2022
Anyone know if this is just a general screw or did it have a specific function? I like the hole on top. Maybe it was used to insert a bar to use as leverage when tightening. Guessing it dates from 1850s to 1910s.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C76CD53C-9349-4675-A9C2-DE7AD337D880.jpeg
    C76CD53C-9349-4675-A9C2-DE7AD337D880.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 5

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if this is just a general screw or did it have a specific function? I like the hole on top. Maybe it was used to insert a bar to use as leverage when tightening. Guessing it dates from 1850s to 1910s.

Thanks for the help!
I,m thinking more like an anchor of some type,rather than threads those appear to be circular ribs.maybe kind of like a anchor you,d drive into stone or concrete.Into a predrilled hole.Just a guess.

OP
OP
S

SOG Fielder

Greenie
Jan 17, 2022
I,m thinking more like an anchor of some type,rather than threads those appear to be circular ribs.maybe kind of like a anchor you,d drive into stone or concrete.Into a predrilled hole.Just a guess.
Thank you, great input. It turns out they actually are threads, but I still think your idea makes sense. There are many semi-loose rock outcroppings in the area and this screw could easily be either hammered or screwed in to act as an anchor point. Thanks again!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, great input. It turns out they actually are threads, but I still think your idea makes sense. There are many semi-loose rock outcroppings in the area and this screw could easily be either hammered or screwed in to act as an anchor point. Thanks again!
You,re welcome,the rocks kind of give it more validity,but it,s still a guess.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early years they had what was called a BOW SAW and the blades had hooks on the ends and these would connect to the screw item you found and that screw went thru the saw handle to a turn knob to be used to apply tension to the saw blade. Sometimes the blade had just a hook on the other end to hook to the bow part of the saw and sometimes it also passed thru the handle to be connected to another screw set up like the other end.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early years they had what was called a BOW SAW and the blades had hooks on the ends and these would connect to the screw item you found and that screw went thru the saw handle to a turn knob to be used to apply tension to the saw blade. Sometimes the blade had just a hook on the other end to hook to the bow part of the saw and sometimes it also passed thru the handle to be connected to another screw set up like the other
Good one bowwinkles!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the help!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread