Inverse tones and auditory perception (metal detecting) theory

earthfoot

Greenie
May 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Anfibio
Correct me if i my thinking is flawed..

In theory a low tone has a larger wavelength and therefore (takes up more space) than the shorter wavelength of a high or mid tone. Therefore in theory when swinging over a high conductor target mixed in with trash it would be relatively easier to hear the the high conductor in that matrix if a lower tone is used to identify the high conductor. You get a longer listen on the metal of interest and a shorter listen to the adjacent trash.

This seems especially true with volume adjustments to increase the low tone/high conductor signal, and subsequently lowering the volume on the high tone/ trash signal. I know that high tones are more alerting in general, but when it gets down to decision making in trash do we not get more information if we use low tones for the target choice (in this case high conductors), and high tones with lowered volume for low conductors. These are easy adjustments to make on the Anfibio, but as the caption says I am a 'greenie", so what do you experienced detector wrists think of this theory?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions