Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there still a meeting tomorrow?
I would like to attend...do I need to bring anything?

Trez

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom, I caught the first part of the show. It was okay - pretty basic. You and Joan did a good job. You needed a better interviewer, though. BCH, I didn't hang around for the psychic. I'm sure I would have been entertained :P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well I went. My GRANDMOTHER USE TO TELL ME THAT IF YOU DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING.
NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING
Peg Leg

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lecture at the Cape Canaveral library was very good, Ray did a fine job with the presentation. There were a few TreasureNet folks that showed up also, It was good to meet RioBravo and his shipmates who are in the Port having some work done on there salvage ship. Also present was Joan Green from the Mel Fisher Museum down in Sebastian. A special supprise appearance by two of the three remaining Real Eight Corporation members was indeed the highlight of the evening.

Thanks

Picture #1 Ray Osbourne, our host for the evening
Picture #2 RioBravo on the left, his boss and a shipmate who's names I can't seem to remember (need more coffee)
Picture #3 Lou Ullian of the Real Eight Corporation
Picture #4 John Jones of the Real Eight Corporation
Picture #5 Joan Green of the Mel Fisher Museum

Attachments

• DSC01559.JPG
    DSC01559.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC01555.JPG
    DSC01555.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC01556.JPG
    DSC01556.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01557.JPG
    DSC01557.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC01558.JPG
    DSC01558.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 371

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Cappy Z, I have added the names to the faces. Of course, had you showed up you could have added the names for me. LOL

Later

Tom

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry I couldn't be there. Joan has some nice jewelry.

Wreckdiver, was the Mclarty museum ever robbed? I heard somewhere of a treasure robbery in the 80's in the Sebastian area.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that the Mclarty museum has been hit by thief's on several occasions. A little known fact is that most of the jewelry on display is infact replicas of the authentic pieces.

Tom V

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wreckdiver1715 said:
It's my understanding that the Mclarty museum has been hit by thief's on several occasions. A little known fact is that most of the jewelry on display is infact replicas of the authentic pieces.

Tom V
I thought so. Did any real treasure get lost from the robberies?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, but I would think some real treasure was taken at some point, at least on the first couple of hits.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wreckdiver1715 said:
Not sure, but I would think some real treasure was taken at some point, at least on the first couple of hits.
Thats a shame.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
That evening of the seminar had some irony as some treasure was stolen at the event. A library
owned book of the National Geographic January issue of 1965 with the article of Kip Wagner's
treasure was removed. I can't believe somebody would steal a book from the library after they
were kind enough to lend it for this seminar.

Indeed Bob Marx was correct with his quote, "with treasure there is trouble and with a lot
of treasure their is a lot of trouble."

I will be doing an updated seminar again and have another joint project planned that I will post details
about later.

Good to meet some people from this forum at the meeting. Thanks for coming out!

bigcypresshunter said:
wreckdiver1715 said:
Thats a shame.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, it sounds like another inside job! LOL. When you talked about the Cape Canaveral Shipwreck Museum robbery the other night being an inside job, I thought the two Lou and John were going to come out of there seats.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Except if you don't offer constructive criticism there is nothing new to learn.

Peg Leg said:
Well I went. My GRANDMOTHER USE TO TELL ME THAT IF YOU DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING.
NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING
Peg Leg

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
What was your problem with the interview?

Darren in NC said:
Tom, I caught the first part of the show. It was okay - pretty basic. You and Joan did a good job. You needed a better interviewer, though. BCH, I didn't hang around for the psychic. I'm sure I would have been entertained :P

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
New development Wreckdiver,

I will be interviewing one of the Real Eight members
for an oral history record of their company shortly. I would
like the interview and recording to be meaningful.

What do you think would be good questions to ask? This invitation for questions
is open to anyone. Perhaps the previous poster who said the radio interviewer wasn't
good might want to offer something constructive to this thread.

I may avoid "whodunnit" question with my interviewee.

wreckdiver1715 said:
Ray, it sounds like another inside job! LOL. When you talked about the Cape Canaveral Shipwreck Museum robbery the other night being an inside job, I thought the two Lou and John were going to come out of there seats.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
ourhistory,
The films were bad and you had two shows going at the same time.
I could barely hear what was being said. That should cover it.
Peg Leg

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ourhistory153 said:
I would like the interview and recording to be meaningful. What do you think would be good questions to ask? This invitation for questions is open to anyone. Perhaps the previous poster who said the radio interviewer wasn't good might want to offer something constructive to this thread.

Now you're talking, Ray. Thanks for a good attitude and being open to input. It was rude of me to make a comment like that and not be more constructive. Sorry about that.

I was first caught off guard by the station itself. It was my first experience with internet radio, so maybe I had too high expectations compared with regular radio. I found it hard to navigate the website. I wasn't sure where to go. Once I figured it out, a friend of mine called me and asked me where to go, too. Then show didn't seem to start on time. It was 1:15 before I heard anything about treasure and I wasn't certain I had the right show since music was playing. I can be pretty picky and time-conscious (yes, I need to work on it :), so I was bothered by it.

That set the mood for the rest of the time. The show asked for treasure hunters to listen in. The material covered was basic and really would be great for those who are just getting started. I guess I expected an advanced course in treasure hunting. I should have been more realistic. As a historian, you pretty much stayed on subject with history. Nothing wrong with that. Thunting involves history. Yet it also involves other facets that are interesting - information/archival research, survey equipment technology, the public's glamorization of searching for gold (think Indiana Jones) versus the reality of gold fever (costs involved, time consuming, meager results, etc.) Perhaps these areas might be a good place to ask questions, too. I've heard nothing but good things about your seminar. I'm thrilled you're educating our children and others in our wonderful history.

I apologize for my bluntness (seems I've accused others of this, forum readers). I hope I have been a little helpful to you in attracting this crowd.

Best to you,
Darren

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ourhistory153 said:
That evening of the seminar had some irony as some treasure was stolen at the event. A library
owned book of the National Geographic January issue of 1965 with the article of Kip Wagner's
treasure was removed. I can't believe somebody would steal a book from the library after they
were kind enough to lend it for this seminar.

Indeed Bob Marx was correct with his quote, "with treasure there is trouble and with a lot
of treasure their is a lot of trouble."
That 1965 book is probably worth about $50. It is becoming scarce. I have copies of it. The maps by archaeologist Carl Clausen with the locations of each artifact found and dispersal patterns are probably sought after by some treasure hunters. Sorry to hear someone lifted it. They could have just copied it from the library.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Invite to 1715 treasure fleet seminar

Tom: I want to know who the blonde haired girl behind John Jones is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions