" IRA" button?

B

BiggusDiggus

Went back to the mill site this morning for a quick hunt...Dug up this old button, has IRA acroos the front with horizontal line design behind lettering, and has some type of wreath around diameter...not sure what I got here, hoping someone with more button expertise could help with info. Thanks in advance..HH

ForumRunner_20130803_133046.png

Upvote 5
OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Dang! Yeah that's it...one pricey button....mine has a back and a straight shank, its just corroded...wondering if its cleanable. Might be headed for eBay since I'm not really into buttons. Thanks for the info!! HH

ForumRunner_20130803_142834.png

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Thanks! Its very cool learning about history you never knew about..seems like a weird find for CT, maybe some Union solider??...Wish these relics could tell a story..

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IRA wreath,staff Irish Republic Army. rv 5.. Found in " Record of American Uniform and historical buttons" book. on page 454 a 455. Awesome job on the button.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'd love to have one of those. I am really interested in the Easter Uprising of 1916 & the founding of the Irish Republic. Michael Collins was also a very interesting person. Send me the eBay link if you sell it...

night crawler

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Shopping for the best $300-$400 one I can find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector do you use I didn't see it listed on your bio and how deep was it

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Thanks for the info texjim, you wouldn't happen to have a PDF or a link for the book/specific pages? Will do magnum, is eBay my best bet? I use an AT Gold, it was about 6 inches down, 3 inches of leaves/pine needles and 3 inches actual soil. It had just stopped raining about a half hour prior. Registers a solid 60-61 vdi, in disc1 with iron disc at 25.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info texjim, you wouldn't happen to have a PDF or a link for the book/specific pages? Will do magnum, is eBay my best bet? I use an AT Gold, it was about 6 inches down, 3 inches of leaves/pine needles and 3 inches actual soil. It had just stopped raining about a half hour prior. Registers a solid 60-61 vdi, in disc1 with iron disc at 25.

Well, I don't ever sell anything I find, I'd sell my gold & silver jewelry if I HAD TO lol. Hopefully I never get so broke that I have to part with my relics or coins. With that said, eBay is tricky. I bought a Dutch tobacco box that was selling for $500 at the time (I only paid $10), sold it a year later & got 80....

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Yeah I hear ya, eBay is tough. I just was hoping to find someone who would cherish it. Since buttons aren't really my bag. Although they are fun to find and def have some historical signifigance. I'm more interested in coins and prospecting. Maybe there's a muesum that would enjoy it. I just don't see it doing any good sitting in a box in my apartment. Especially if it would help fund my prospecting adventures. Regardless an interesting find.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice historic button and the first I have seen posted. Certainly a BANNER-worthy button. I am voting "Banner" for it!

Vonclemen29

Apr 15, 2013
Central mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando, minelab xterra 505 9", 6" coil, minelab pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irish button! Cool find, love it!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first emerged successfully in Ireland, where, between 1917 and 1921, ... liberation', and the Irish Republican Army as paradigmatic of the ... revolts, but after 1871 the increasing sophistication of military ... Hobson and McGarrity MMS, National Library of Ireland, MS 13168-9. ..... PRO, War Office Papers, W.O. 55 180 part I... I could not find any pdf or any other pics of the button.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread