What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Iron band?

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
Found this across street from civil war skirmish site last year in a church field , can’t really figure out or compare it to anything. Think it could be a band for something possibly
 

Attachments

  • 6833712B-89E5-4936-A33F-5CC74DE542AE.webp
    6833712B-89E5-4936-A33F-5CC74DE542AE.webp
    663.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 1CADA0E6-4C9D-43F4-B805-B0532746DD6D.webp
    1CADA0E6-4C9D-43F4-B805-B0532746DD6D.webp
    405.8 KB · Views: 90
I agree that it is from a wagon, but I think it may be the strap part of an anti-rattle device.
I think you only have part of it. On the wagon wheels that I've seen there is a metal band around each end of the wooden hub.
 
Upvote 0
Looks more like an automotive type part. The holes appear to be square like they'd accept a carriage bolt.
Just thinking out loud.
 
Upvote 0
I have helped forge several wagon tires and hub rings. They are usually forge welded and then shrunk onto the hubs and outter wheels. There are no holes in them. That sure doesn't mean that that didn't come off of a wagon or an artillery piece. There are about 100 different metal parts to the average buckboard .
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom