Iron Bias Question

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunted every day since Feb with my 600. I'm in quiet fields, Nail infested cellars, trashy parks, etc, and I've settled on zero iron bias. I can't really speak to the whys and what-fors but I can say I hardly ever dig twist tops or cans. I get almost no falsings. I don't crank the sens though...about 19 in trash, up to 21 in the open fields. I never had a minelab before February, coming from the T2. So maybe, people with minelabs for years can crank the sens...I can't...and I'm still digging dimes at 8in and two coppers each at a foot. My record was 11in with my T2.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have mine set to zero. In my air tests I was passing up gold rings next to iron if it was set higher. The higher setting increases the chances that a target will be labeled as iron. In an area where you don't want to miss non ferrous targets, set it lower.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here - it is a filter that supposedly helps with iron falsing. I don't much care about that since I can interrogate the target in all metal mode and listen for the accompanying iron tone. IB will keep you from picking up masked non-ferrous amongst thick iron if you invoke it. Other than moderate levels of discrimination, I avoid any other notches and filters and let my brain figure it out. IB = 0 for me.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run mine at 1 but might lower it to 0. I wouldn't run it higher than 1 for fear of missing masked targets. Cuttin the sens down to 18 to 20 helps in the iron most from what ive found.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too run mine at 0 or 1. Some tests I ran convinced me that any higher and you will miss any non ferrous target that is close to iron.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run mine at 1 but might lower it to 0. I wouldn't run it higher than 1 for fear of missing masked targets. Cuttin the sens down to 18 to 20 helps in the iron most from what ive found.

Would you go with that in Park 1 as well? kind of makes sense to do so.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run iron bias in 0 in every mode.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park 2 is where im at.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Many good and valid points here. On our trashy beaches, I run 0 iron bias in all metal and let the tones indicate what might be under my coil. When hunting relics, same....relics made of ferrous material are important to the museum I support.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread