✅ SOLVED Iron Cross, genuine or reprodution

DaveBW

Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come into possession of this Iron Cross, perhaps someone with more knowledge than myself could help authenticate it or declare it a fake. Here's what I know - It's magnetic. It appears to be layered but I can not discern any sort of separation between layers. I don't see a makers mark. It does have a slight internal rattle when shaken. There is a tiny bit of rust on the inner section, appears the lacquer is cracking. I've attached photos. Thank you.

Attachments

• iron-cross5.jpg
    iron-cross5.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 51
  • iron-cross4.jpg
    iron-cross4.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 48
  • iron-cross3.jpg
    iron-cross3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 45
  • iron-cross1.jpg
    iron-cross1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 56
  • iron-cross2.jpg
    iron-cross2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 49
  • iron-cross6.jpg
    iron-cross6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 54

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reproductions are usually one piece construction. That cross is for sure 3 piece. To me, it looks real but is very damaged. Ring is not marked so maker unknown. One in nice condition could be bought for $150 or more, depending on maker. Yours, with the damage might bring $50-$75. The WW1 crosses were silver with iron center. By WW2, they started using more base metals. Here are a few of my WW1 crosses. Gary

DSC04825.JPG

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm curious as to the significance of the 1814 - 1939 dates shown on this medal. :icon_scratch:
As far as I can tell, this piece isn't referencing any of the world wars, I'm thinking it's symbolizing something else.

Why would something like this be reproduced, this piece looks to be fairly well-made and I don't think it's a reproduction.

Dave

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to the significance of the 1814 - 1939 dates shown on this medal. :icon_scratch:
As far as I can tell, this piece isn't referencing any of the world wars, I'm thinking it's symbolizing something else.

Why would something like this be reproduced, this piece looks to be fairly well-made and I don't think it's a reproduction.

Dave

There's nothing wrong with the dating, Dave. Although this is a 1939 series Iron Cross and would be from WWII, these crosses also carry the date 1813 (it's not 1814) for the year the award was first created.

My vote would be that it's genuine but sometimes you can't tell without really close examination. What can be said is that it doesn't have any of the red flags commonly seen on reproductions and is only disappointing in that it doesn't have any maker indications. That in itself is not unusual though. Even if it is genuine, it doesn't have much value in that condition. You can pick up authentic crosses of this type in nice condition for under $100 over here.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The date and the swastika (and lack of a crown) would make it WWII era. Likely authentic.

Upvote 0

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dave

This is the nearest I can figure, found in the net...1813 is the first year of use, then revived by Hitler in 1939...but wonder why he chose that?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Iron-Cross

Iron Cross, , German Eiserne Kreuz, Prussian military decoration instituted in 1813 by Frederick William III for distinguished service in the Prussian War of Liberation. Use of the decoration was revived by William I for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, recreated in 1914 for World War I, and last revived by Adolf Hitler on Sept. 1, 1939, the same day that German forces invaded Poland.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...1813 is the first year of use, then revived by Hitler in 1939...but winder why he chose that?

The Iron Cross has a long historical connection to Prussia, which was the driving force behind the unification of Germany in 1871 and then the leading state of the German Empire until its dissolution in 1918 after Germany lost the First World War.

Hitler himself fought in WWI and was awarded the Iron Cross, Second Class in 1914 and then the Iron Cross, First Class in 1918 (a rare award to someone with Hitler’s modest rank of “Gefreiter”). He later described receiving the award as the happiest day of his life. Here he is in 1940, wearing his original WWI medal:

Hitler 1.jpg

Little-known but useless factoid: Hitler had a ‘handlebar’ moustache at the beginning of WWI. He trimmed it down to the more familiar ‘toothbrush’ moustache we all remember to get a better seal around his gas-mask and kept it like that thereafter.

Hitler 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions