springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this up on a hill where I've found some late 19th century stuff. It's some kind of iron piece that's been broken that has the date "FEBRUARY 4,1896" written below a few letters at the top to the best of my knowledge,looks like "IVEROHI". It could also be 2 words "IVE Road" (which makes a little more sense). There are a few missing letters though,the "F" and "E" are gone from "February". I looked around the same area to see if I could find the rest of the sign or whatever it is but,no luck. :( I was just wondering if anyone's ever came across something like this or may know what it is. I didn't have a very good camera at the time so,I took the picture with my phone. But,you can still see it pretty well... Iron Piece 1896.jpg

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe piece of a bell ?

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it say "IVER OHIO"? You could put any of several letters before IVER to make a word - like RIVER

What size is it?

Take another pic in the sunlight to try to get more detail.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Taz, you're a genius. [OL] IVER CHI [LLED]

DCMNatt

No fooling. Did you work for the Gummit breaking codes or solving crimes. Wow, you are a genius.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
springsnrings

springsnrings

Apr 24, 2013
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be part of a moldboard for an Oliver plow. There was one patented on that date.

Patent US553930 - JAMES OLIVER - Google Patents

Also I think it is chi not ohi. "Oliver chilled plow works".

It's funny you said all of that because I was contemplating whether it was an "O" or a C" and the name "Oliver" came to mind when I saw the "IVER". I think that's exactly what it is,Taz since it was found on some old farmland. Thanks for the info about it and everything. :) I wish I were that quick at deciphering things. LOL XD And DCMatt,I will be sure to take better pictures next time. LOL XD Consider this one solved. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread