Is it a bad joke?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Re: Is that a bad joke?

It´s basically no problem here in Europe anyway, so long as you have the permission of the Priest or Pastor, and don´t go digging in the graves themselves. Over here quite a few nice finds have been made, and given to the church or local museum, to keep in their collections, many very moving finds around old cemetries from the 30 year war here, and some from the second world war, which is a touchy subject in German especially !But I would admonish people to give all finds made to either the church they were found at (If still in use), or the local museum.
HH Ray

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Crosby said:
That's just wrong.
In Europe I don´t think it´s wrong (Your situation in the States might be different, due to lack of really ancient sites). How many people (Detectorists and Archeologists) find ancient sites, and remove artifacts and coins from them ? Many of these sites are ancient holy places, be they Druid, Celtic, Roman, Medieval etc., Just look at the Tombs of the Phaorohs for example. Just because it´s more modern, doesn´t make it any more holy than the old places to the cultures that worshipped there. Lot´s of these finds dissappear into private collections, or massive National museums. What is nicer than giiving a find back to a relative (If they can be traced), or to the church (If it´s still running), or to a local museum, it´s local history.! I am not suggesting that people dig the actual graves, but the foortpaths and area´s around holy places are within reason to dig. Where do you think all these priceless artifacts in the big museums come from that you enjoy looking at ? Most of the Irn Age, Celtic, Roman, and indeed Medieval finds come from temples, churches, and graveyards. It´s no different, just thousands or hundreds of years insted of maybe 150 years in your case. How many graveyrds are cleared after 15 to 30 years to make way for new graves, or even to have a road, or factory built there. Nowaday´s it´s very common, and they´re talking about mandatory grave clearance in the future allready, where the graves would be cleared after even as little as five years. In this case, either the finds are dumped with the topsoil somewhere else, or get appropriated by the construction workers and dissappear (Via auction houses), into private collections. What do you prefer, the finds to dissappear, or to go where I suggested in the first place ?
Your call !!
HH Ray

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's also one of the *worst* detecting videos I have ever seen. The voice-over is stupid. Bad.

LOL

Ray--I agree with you. It is illegal in many states here in the U.S. to metal detect in a cemetery, and I don't blame them for outlawing it. I have seen so many tombstones vandalized that it would be nice if they had 24 hour surveilance at some cemeteries.

-Buckleboy

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Like I said, so long as the Priest or Pastoor has no problem (Permission should allway´s be asked for, and only detected when permission is given), then in my book it´s okay. We have one of the largest and oldest Jewish cemeteries in Europe just up the road from me, but I don´t detect it (We as a local museum care for and tend it), but we have a large Jewish section in our museum going back to the 870 AD mark This includes (Very sensitive in Germany), a large piece over the holocaust. Many of the former Jewish temples here are now houses, or schools, or bakeries etc., and these we have all documented. We have often got tourists from the Staes and Israel that come, and it is very moving to hear their stories, and see their faces when they see an object that they remember. However, like I said, I don´t detect the Jewish cemetry (I´m English living in Germany, and I´m not Jewish), because there is no one left to ask here, the Jewish community has died out. Although the Jewish holy places and cemetries were desecrated in the 1930´s and 1940´s, even after the war was over, many former holy places where converted. The German museum that I am a member of (None of them are Jewish either), has sought to bring the Jewish culture back into remembrance, despite opposition from those that would prefer the episode buried. I am sure that I would detect it if I found someone in authority to give permission, as I would love to return objects to relatives of those who went to the camps, and the other finds to go into the local museum, to be a poignant reminder.
HH Ray

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll admit the thought crossed my mind..but I came to the conclusion whether lawful or not to me it just seemed morally wrong so as they say"I'm not gonna go there". Bet there would be some nice rings and/or gold crosses etc.

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I love detecting as much as the next guy, but if I caught someone detecting and digging around any of my family, I'd wrap their detector around their head >:(

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
rommelvon said:
I love detecting as much as the next guy, but if I caught someone detecting and digging around any of my family, I'd wrap their detector around their head >:(

i agree. these guys are way out of line, morally. its just disrespectfull.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Here it wouldn´t be allowed to detect the graves, just the footpaths, which I don´t see a problem with. However I would have a problem with someone detecting graves, that´s morally unacceptable !

OP
OP
R

rammjäger

rommelvon said:
I agree with you.
MfG.:

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Why is this wrong?
The guys aren't digging up corpses to sell to medical schools.
I'd figure there'd be plenty of spilled change from the pockets of the bereaved during a service as they pull out hankies and tissues.

My moral meter is off?

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
What if you knew someone killed in combat. What if that same person was posthumously awarded a very prestigious medal. Now you take the time to go to the grave, place the metal where his chest would be, render him a salute, and leave the medal there. After a couple of years (from this war or even more from WWII) that medal is a couple of inches down. When some JERK comes along with his metal detector and digs a 925 sterling silver star at three inches, is he going to consider it a good find? Ridiculous.

~Tom

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
I wouldn´t advocate digging within 12 inches of the perimeter of a grave, but doing the main paths (Not those between graves), I don´t see a problem with. Even most Priests/Vicars/Pastors here don´t see a problem, so long as no one disturbs the graves themselves.
People that are considering doing graveyards should A) Get permission from the relevant person, B) Ensure that they don´t get too close to the graves, and C) Alway´s be polite and not infringe on mourners grief. Also avoid digging in the area´s where newer graves are.Anything found, should be shown to the person who granted permission, and if it´s a personal item, you should at the very least make every effort to get it to the relatives of the person who lost it.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Digging at a gravestone is super lame. Digging around a grave...I really don't see the problem. Seems like a logical place to look for lost change. There is a cemetery near here that dates from the early 18th century and I would love to see what fell out of peoples pockets as they stood and visited all those years.
Digging the stones, NO.
Digging the walkways and churchyards, YES.

Then again I'm a ghoul so whatever.

Huntn FireH2o

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita KS. U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Maybe they need para normal detctors, because they need to be HAUNTED. Why hunt a place should be for rest and peace. The worlds a big place come on find some different dirt dudes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread