Is it common for slag to contain non-chondrules like this?

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are magnified images of some slag I found that contains scores of these perfectly round chondrule look-alikes, all of varying sizes and makeup. Being that they are in slag, they can't be chondrules, but I would like to see if anyone here is familiar with, or has seen, other specimens with similar inclusions?

celluloid-shot0001.jpg celluloid-shot000b1.jpg

Anyone know what could cause these?

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, spherules like that are a common constituent of slags.

Randy Korotev of the Washington University in St Louis Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has this to say (picture also by Korotev):

After iron oxide concretions and nodules, the most common type of meteorwrong that we encounter is industrial slag. Slag usually refers to a glassy by-product of smelting ores to retrieve the metal. I use the term here to also include any man-made, rock-like by-product of heating things to high temperature. Thus, clinkers are a form of slag.
Two other common characteristics of most slags are that they are glassy (vitreous) and contain vesicles (gas bubbles). Many slags also contain metal from inefficient separation of metal from ore during smelting and, thus, they will attract a magnet.

Slag (Korotev).jpg

In “A comparative study of some metallic spherules” [Parker & Reid 1965] the authors reported:

We looked at a number of slags in order to search for spherules for comparison with spherules of meteoritic origin. If material with a high iron content is heated in a reducing environment, the iron commonly segregates from the melt to form a separate metallic phase. In slags a separate metallic phase, in the form of spherules, is common.

OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these are from a piece of slag and are not chondrules:

Much "Thanks!" to Red-Coat for all the information that you shared in answer to my question. A great explanation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions