Is it possible to date this ring?

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I apologize if this is in the wrong spot but recently I was digging in my own back yard and found these four items so far. The ring looks very old to me. Is there any way to date it? I don't know what material it is made of but it weighs 7.4 grams. It has a 10 or possibly :10 on the inside. It is not a size 10, it is a size 8. Hope that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

unknown ring before.jpg Jesus ring 1.jpg Jesus ring 2.jpg Jesus ring 3.jpg Jesus ring 4.jpg HALF REALE  front.jpg 2 REALE front.jpg 8 REALE front.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um...
I would be digging the hell out of my own yard if I were you.

Time for new grass anyway :P

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Um...
I would be digging the hell out of my own yard if I were you.
:P
Seems like she's digging the Heaven out instead. :tongue3:
The number looks ime it may be 1:10, like a bible verse, which seems possible given the inscription on the outside of the ring

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't help you date the ring, but you can date me if I can dig in your yard.

We can also go on a date wherever you keep finding all that great stuff you've been posting...

Dang girl- You've got some sweet hunting spots.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
NICE 1780 ERA SPANISH SLVER -- YOU CAN DATE THE RING IF IT LIKES YOU AND YOU ASK NICELY ...

WITH THE WORD JESUS ON THE OUTSIDE AND A : 10 INSIDE AND IT NOT BEING A SIZE 10 RING --IT IS LIKELY A BIBLE VERSE NUMBER THAT ENDS WITH : 10 ---SORT OF LIKE .....JOHN 3:16 ...WITH THE SPANISH SILVER DATES YOUR FINDING THAT RING COULD BE LATE 1700 OR EARLY 1800 ERA ..

P, S. ---THE LETTERING STYLE (FONT) LOOKS TO BE OF A OLD ENGLISH STYLE TYPE / DESIGN .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I can't help you date the ring, but you can date me if I can dig in your yard.

We can also go on a date wherever you keep finding all that great stuff you've been posting...

Dang girl- You've got some sweet hunting spots.

Don't tempt me :) I'm single and lonely.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
METAL DETECTING IS A GREAT WAY TO MEET SINGLE NERDY (SMART GUYS) ...THAT ARE INTO HISTORY AND THE OUTDOORS ... I AM HOWEVER HAPPILY MARRIED AND HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
METAL DETECTING IS A GREAT WAY TO MEET SINGLE NERDY (SMART GUYS) ...THAT ARE INTO HISTORY AND THE OUTDOORS ... I AM HOWEVER HAPPILY MARRIED AND HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS

I was happily married for 23 years before he came home one day and said "Honey I love you, but I love her more" and left :( Broke my heart.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
foolish man ... the worlds full of dumb folks ..my first wife of 10 years was one of them ...my second wife is smart and loving ..been together 20 years happy as can be..

phil 2:10 ...and at the name of Jesus , all knees shall bow in heaven , on earth and below it..

Upvote 0

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best I can do - The ring is between 1 and 2015 years old. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!!

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the old English type script font used to carve the word "jesus" on the front of the ring was popular in the early 1800's era that combined with the 1780 's era Spanish silver coinage would make me think its from the early 1800's era -- after the rev war --english money was scarce in America (heck even pre war money was in short supply --so Spanish silver was commonly used in the American colonies) --and in America "the country" post war as well -- in fact Spanish coinage was "legal tender" in America until 1830 --since it took a good while for Americans to mint enough coins to fill our fiscal needs ..

I think the ring is a older silver one , and is likely custom made ..( being it does not have a modern 925 or sterling silver marking upon it -- which is required by law for more modern made jewelry )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think the ring is very old since the engraving inside is a modern font and appears to have been modern machine pantograph engraved. I do love the spanish coin!!

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What... ? ? ? A Single woman who took up metal detecting on her own ?
Wow.
Don't hear that everyday.

My girl loves detecting... so I am currently taken...
If she decides she does not like detecting anymore...
Welp...
I will then be single :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kapidr

Kapidr

Mar 17, 2014
By the sea
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
I do not think the ring is very old since the engraving inside is a modern font and appears to have been modern machine pantograph engraved. I do love the spanish coin!!

Turns out you are correct, I got it a bit cleaner on the other side and can see a maker's mark that is modern. :) Jesus ring 6.jpg

Upvote 0

Rich jaws

Oct 27, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it might be perfectly ok to date a ring, I would not suggest it. Besides, I am sure you can do a lot better! Congrats on the finds!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread