Is it safe to clean these bullets?

BDZ

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is it safe to clean these WW2 bullets?

Hi

Back in 2019 i found 2 bullets in the canal whilst magnet fishing. Very helpful people on this forum helped me indentify that they are either 20MM/50Cal bullets.
(Pictures are below)

I have kept the bullets in my garage ever since finding them as i have never handled ammunition before and im scared they are going to blow up.

My question is, is it safe for me to take these bullets apart and clean them and if so how do i take them apart and how do i clean them without scratching the bullets. Also have these bullets been fired? They have been struck at the bottom but the projectile is still firmly attached to both bullets.

Any help is highly appreciated!

BFA28F77-A7D4-4BDF-A5E5-3F3319C14EBE.jpeg

A1A37AE6-8140-4C78-8FCB-8E32E32B61B7.jpeg

A26DAC84-58D1-4161-9F6A-951482138CB6.jpeg

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The primers appear to have been stuck so they may be duds. If you do clean them do not use any power equipment. A wire brush or plastic brush you should be safe.

OP
OP
B

BDZ

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
Hi, Thank you for the reply

Is it possible for me to remove the bullet from the casing so i can clean out the inside of the bullet, Will using a pair of pliers do this safely or is there a risk of them blowing up?

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its usually safe to do so. For reloading I use an inertia bullet pullet and have never had an issue. I would suggest using an old belt to keep from scaring up the bullets. The main thing you want to avoid is excessive heat or sparks. Some military rounds especially British stuff was loaded with Cordite which usually looks like pieces of dried spaghettis. If its black looking gun powder you can just dump it in the yard its basically fertilizer. Just go slow they may not want to come out. Try to twist and don't crank them side to side or you may bend up the neck. There is also a chance they are dummy rounds and don't have anything in them though usually those will have a hole drilled in the case somewhere.

OP
OP
B

BDZ

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
Thank you very much, that is extremely helpful! :notworthy:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you try and pull them without a puller you will damage the slugs for sure. They are in there very tight. Get some Brasso brass cleaner and clean them just the way they are. No need to open them up or even remove them from the linkage. The primers were duds so they are pretty darn safe just the way they are. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread