Part of our problem is that, most of us have other things that we have to do (like making a living), so we don't have 100% of our time to write to representatives and such, and follow all these new regulations in every state, or to be going to meetings (which all seem to be timed for the working stiff NOT to attend), etc.
So, we resort to email. But, I was just reading an little article on one of the government sites (I think California's, but not positive - I was researching California, Montana, Oregon and Idaho). Anyway, it said that your local representative is more likely to read a letter that is handwritten (yes, still in this day and age). It said from the President on down, staff members get the emails, peruse them and pick out about 1 out of 100. In handwritten letters, its about 1 out of 10. (depending on the state or the government agency).
So, I do believe I will go buy some new stationary and a pen.
B
PS: South Dakota said they rarely pay attention to emailed petitions, but always look at petitions that are hand signed.