Is Matthew Roberts writing a book?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard Matthew Roberts is writing a book. I hope he is. I have really enjoyed all the threads he has posted.
I asked him few years ago if has thought to write a book. He answered " Maybe in the future ". If he will write a book, i'm sure would be much different than all written in the last two decades, and more truthful.

Sentinel

Jan 5, 2007
I have heard Matthew Roberts is writing a book. I hope he is. I have really enjoyed all the threads he has posted.
I have heard the same for over 20 years, I believe he even mentioned this in the early 90s. Regardless, the real issue is the cost, marketing and distribution. There is no real money in publishing a Lost Dutchman book and along with the associated costs you have to not just write a book, but cite sources and create indexes. Remember posting a paragraph or three in a thread and an actual book are entirely two different animals. I have always followed the sales and distribution of various LDM books and even with a fanbase or following, the market depends on a small percentage of those who who would be interested in the subject matter.

Just think if that percentage would likely be 2 or 3 hundred people. That is easily several thousand dollars to publish and then that does not include any marketing and other associated costs. In other words you are likely to lose money unless your cover price is pretty high for the market. Even then your probably killing some sales with the higher cover price. Add in giving away copies for reviews and of course friends.

Typing out a few paragraphs and referencing other peoples works and material is just fine here, but a book as a whole is a different undertaking and opens yourself to an entire another realm of possible criticism. You can not delete or edit a book you released, the original is there and a permanent record of what you said.

Every book on the Lost Dutchman really comes under two categories: Personal adventure/Quest/Discovery tales or opinionated pieces published for entertainment. Other than Tom Kollenborns Chronological history and Circlestone, I believe every LDM book falls under those categories.

This forum like others falls under the auspices of Social media, as do facebook posts, Instagram and youtube videos. Since those platforms offer a far larger audience with no marketing costs to the user/Author and zero real costs upfront to publish, my thoughts are LDM books are primarily vanity projects.

Bottom line in my case, its hard to even think of covering the publishing costs to sell possibly hundreds ( If I am lucky) of copies of a book, when I have reached tens of million through cable television, millions through online videos and tens of thousands through social media.

I was offered a deal for a nice up front amount to write something around 5 years ago, there were associated royalties with the deal, but I didn't think it was what I wanted do to at the time. That was a rare case and It obviously was because they felt they could market it based on the History channel series and other appearances I have made. I doubt there is that interest today.

Hope that covers the subject fairly. Enjoy the freedom the forum offers. Had to edit a couple of spelling errors. Sorry.

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
I have heard the same for over 20 years, I believe he even mentioned this in the early 90s. Regardless, the real issue is the cost, marketing and distribution. There is no real money in publishing a Lost Dutchman book and along with the associated costs you have to not just write a book, but cite sources and create indexes. Remember posting a paragraph or three in a thread and an actual book are entirely two different animals. I have always followed the sales and distribution of various LDM books and even with a fanbase or following, the market depends on a small percentage of those who who would be interested in the subject matter.

Just think if that percentage would likely be 2 or 3 hundred people. That is easily several thousand dollars to publish and then that does not include any marketing and other associated costs. In other words you are likely to lose money unless your cover price is pretty high for the market. Even then your probably killing some sales with the higher cover price. Add in giving away copies for reviews and of course friends.

Typing out a few paragraphs and referencing other peoples works and material is just fine here, but a book as a whole is a different undertaking and opens yourself to an entire another realm of possible criticism. You can not delete or edit a book you released, the original is there and a permanent record of what you said.

Every book on the Lost Dutchman really comes under two categories: Personal adventure/Quest/Discovery tales or opinionated pieces published for entertainment. Other than Tom Kollenborns Chronological history and Circlestone, I believe every LDM book falls under those categories.

This forum like others falls under the auspices of Social media, as do facebook posts, Instagram and youtube videos. Since those platforms offer a far larger audience with no marketing costs to the user/Author and zero real costs upfront to publish, my thoughts are LDM books are primarily vanity projects.

Bottom line in my case, its hard to even think of covering the publishing costs to sell possibly hundreds ( If I am lucky) of copies of a book, when I have reached tens of million through cable television, millions through online videos and tens of thousands through social media.

I was offered a deal for a nice up front amount to write something around 5 years ago, there were associated royalties with the deal, but I didn't think it was what I wanted do to at the time. That was a rare case and It obviously was because they felt they could market it based on the History channel series and other appearances I have made. I doubt there is that interest today.

Hope that covers the subject fairly. Enjoy the freedom the forum offers. Had to edit a couple of spelling errors. Sorry.
I sure hope so. I have no doubt it would be worth reading. Over the years I have read many of his stories on a another website that have always been worth reading. He has been great at sharing his knowledge.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently uncovered a handwritten letter written by Rhinehart Petrasch in October 1937.
Rhinehart was requesting a certificate from the Phoenix Fire department for his time spent as a volunteer firefighter in the early days of the Phoenix Fire Department.
An interesting note is Rhinehart's team mate in that department was himself a lost dutchman mine searcher.
Interesting insight into Rhinehart's life and times.
FB_IMG_1681078368146.jpg
FB_IMG_1681078373187.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions