What's new

Is metal detecting worth it?

my first machine in 1975 was a used one for $99
almost quit after first year - 2nd year (1976) i hit my own yard and found whole
spectrum of finds and learned my machine - dug everything - the rest is history
this handful of gold was from a 4 day trip to Fla. yrs ago - all from water - estimated to be about
$5000-$6000 back then
 
Last edited:
If it doesn't itch, don't scratch. Its that simple.
 
my first machine in 1975 was a used one for $99
almost quit after first year - 2nd year (1976) i hit my own yard and found whole
spectrum of finds and learned my machine - dug everything - the rest is history
this handful of gold was from a 4 day trip to Fla. yrs ago - all from water - estimated to be about
$5000-$6000 back then

Good God.....!!!
 
Put the question of actually finding anything of value out of your mind. You will eventually, but you really ought to enter the hobby if you're looking for a calm, reflective pastime where you operate your own little machine, on your own time, and occasionally have reason to get very excited. Not rich, but excited. It's like nature walking with an extra carrot thrown in.
 
Metal detecting is a hobby and should be viewed as a hobby not a money maker. I have been detecting over 26 years and recently added up my yearly journals. I am just short of 100,000 coins and recently passed 1600 silver coins. I do not look at this as being a huge monetary gain, but feel like the thousands of hours has been some of the most enjoyable times of my life. Enjoy the time spent in the fields or parks and anything you find is a bonus.
 
No. Tresure hunting is.
 
Well that depends on what "it" is. Metal detecting is a hobby of relaxation , adventure and exercise . it is NOT a way to get rich.
If you don't think it's worth it than you're probably right.

This +1000...
 
Pay for itself? It's a good question and my answer is..."Most days no." BUT, one find can change that. Personally, one ring was worth more than I've spent on the hobby. All the other finds would have paid for...perhaps 1/3 of my costs. Note however, costs shouldn't be the ONLY consideration. There are other benefits that $ can't and shouldn't be the determining factor.
 
What kind of answer are you looking for!? Is it worth it? Guess you will have to figure that one out for yourself. Everyone is different.
 
Is it worth it?
That all depends what you're after.
If you enjoy getting out doors, getting exercise, enjoy history, look at every hunt as a great adventure adventure and look at digging every target as a surprize then yes metal detecting is for you.
But...If you're expecting to get rich fast, are a couch potato, expect to get a quick return for your equipment investment with no effort on your part...metal detecting is not the hobby for you.
I metal detect because I love the hobby. I enjoy the history behind my finds. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the surprize that comes when I reveal each target that I recover. I look at the money spent on the hobby as money spent for entertainment. I have many fond memories associated with my pursuit of the hobby plus many friends made who share my passion for metal detecting. For me the enjoyment of the hobby is priceless!
 
Last edited:
my first machine in 1975 was a used one for $99
almost quit after first year - 2nd year (1976) i hit my own yard and found whole
spectrum of finds and learned my machine - dug everything - the rest is history
this handful of gold was from a 4 day trip to Fla. yrs ago - all from water - estimated to be about
$5000-$6000 back then

Achievements are one thing….but was it worth it? (I suspect it was well worth your time and $$). I remember those mag. Photos of the 1980’s that showed handfuls of diamond laiden gold rings found on Florida and Hawaii beaches. You don’t hear about that kind of stuff being found anymore. Always figured it was fluff for the article..apparently not.

I think you were hitting virgin territory.
 
Last edited:
you forgot it is VERY good EXERCISE !!
 
So I am thinking for quite a long time about buying a metal detector for around 250$ .But is metal detecting really worth it I mean can it get frustating easily? and do you loose fun fast? 250$ thats a lot for me

( I live in europe)usps tracking showbox speed test
i have thousands invested in metal detectors and have not make my money back yet, not even close, this is not a business it is a hobby. unless you have the time and money or sponsors to treasure hunt.
 
Casper you must be riding in a rut.

Its worth what its worth each day you do it. heh
 
This hobby can provide you will lots of great finds, lots of fun and lots of great memories.
Read your Manual - ask questions and spend as much time in the field with your machine as possible.
It's not an instant results hobby - there's an endless learning curve - you must pay your dues.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom