Is the AT Pro semi obsolete now ?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had an AT Pro for a number of years now. And I had great fun with it. I also just got an 11x14 Reaper coil for it. But I can't help but wonder, is this model over the hill now ?
Only if you think so,still finding stuff? Bet you know it well. Got an extra grand or so to buy the latest and greatest? From all I,ve seen about the Pro it,s still relevant. Just my opinion and you know what they say about those!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is very obsolete. but I'll be a nice guy and give you $50 for it! Lol!

I find it so sad that people believe all the carnival barkers selling their latest and greatest detector. They always seem to feel the need to tell everyone how much better their $1600 detector is compared to an AT Pro. Ever wonder why these guys are always trashing the AT Pro, while promoting their machine? You guessed it. It's because the AT Pro still finds the good stuff for a grand less than their machines and is a proven winner. I'll stick to my AT Pro ...

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree with what crashbandicoot said if you like it and are still finding things with it then it is not obsolete

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, it is very obsolete. but I'll be a nice guy and give you $50 for it! Lol!

I find it so sad that people believe all the carnival barkers selling their latest and greatest detector. They always seem to feel the need to tell everyone how much better their $1600 detector is compared to an AT Pro. Ever wonder why these guys are always trashing the AT Pro, while promoting their machine? You guessed it. It's because the AT Pro still finds the good stuff for a grand less than their machines and is a proven winner. I'll stick to my AT Pro ...
FreeBirdTim i purchased my AT Pro back in 2010 which is when it came out i still have the same original one i purchased in 2010, i cannot tell you how much bashing i took over that purchase and told how stupid i was, even though i took all that, i made up my own mind about it, but i will tell you i have often wondered just how much that bashing affected my mind set towards the ATP and caused me to not give it a chance to this day i just do not care for it but i have kept it around.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated my AT Pro the first month I owned it! I had been using my Ace 250 and the AT Pro seemed harder to use. But once I paid my dues and figured it out, I immediately sold my Ace 250. It's a great machine if you have the right settings. You have to use Pro zero mode otherwise it's just an expensive version of the Ace 250. I also use the larger coil to cover a lot of ground and to find the deeper targets.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Agree with what crashbandicoot said if you like it and are still finding things with it then it is not obsolete
Just bought an ATMAX and keeping my ATPRO for a backup. ATPRO is nine years old now and the last time I had it out I dug a musket ball at 12”, obsolete I think not. I also use my Fisher F75, interchanging them depending what and where I am hunting.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not obsolete. May miss a few targets the newer gear will catch.

My experience has been the AT-Pro doesn't see under large "3 inch diameter" roots well.
There are limitations on ALL metal detectors, even the new ones. You just have to know and accept them

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is in fact obsolete, as are all single frequency detectors. Minelab and Nokta Makro now lead is Simultaneous Multi frequency tech and machines. You can get a Vanquish for less than an AT Pro.

You guys stuck in Single Frequency land really need to upgrade!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct, in a way. If you wish to hunt highly mineralized soil or wet salt beaches the multi frequency machines rule. But, from the day they made recreational detectors it has always been a fact that somebody well versed with an older machine will out hunt somebody with the latest machine who doen't know the machine well. Those ATPs will and do still make great finds. One thing I really like about them is there are a myriad of different size and shape coils for them which do give good versatility. I admit I haven't used mine much since I got my Safari and then a Nox but I do have four coils for my ATP and find it useful at times.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is in fact obsolete, as are all single frequency detectors. Minelab and Nokta Makro now lead is Simultaneous Multi frequency tech and machines. You can get a Vanquish for less than an AT Pro.

There speaks a man who knows!

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had an AT Pro for a number of years now. And I had great fun with it. I also just got an 11x14 Reaper coil for it. But I can't help but wonder, is this model over the hill now ?
I will say no. It's mainly about how good of a permission you can get or site, and luck. Also factoring how good the user is with their particular detector. Another thing some metal detector just are better at other things than the next. I have a AT Pro and a Deus XP. Both will find stuff if it's there. My AT Pro gets better depth, while the Deus picks up small gold and silver well and can pick up really deep iron relics.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he AT Pro is in fact obsolete, as are all single frequency detectors. Minelab and Nokta Makro now lead is Simultaneous Multi frequency tech and machines. You can get a Vanquish for less than an AT Pro.

Spoken like a true lemming to the sea! Next year, they'll be some other "upgrade" and all the lemmings will pay 2k for it. Sorry, but I have yet to see anyone on YouTube who is killing it with any of the new machines. I'll save myself a grand and miss a couple of Mercs a year, thank you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoken like a true lemming to the sea! Next year, they'll be some other "upgrade" and all the lemmings will pay 2k for it. Sorry, but I have yet to see anyone on YouTube who is killing it with any of the new machines. I'll save myself a grand and miss a couple of Mercs a year, thank you.
Well, this lemming went from a Tesoro Vaquero and Tejon Fan Boy, to a Minelab Equinox 600, and now the Nokta Makro Legend Fan Boy. I have used Dozens of different machines since I started in 1976. Garrett is dead unless they decide to upgrade the APEX. It's funny, the Tesoro Vaquero can out hunt the AT Pro, but all of a sudden ATP users are convinced it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When I first went out with my Apex I used the SMF setting since it was the simultaneous multi frequency I bought it for. After finding everything I could with SMF I went over the same field again using each of the single frequencies and was able to find a few more targets that SMF had missed.

SMF is a great choice if time only permits you to go over a field once, but if you're patient and have the time, single frequencies can often find more.

All depends on what you want out of the equipment and how much time you want to spend. We don't all want the same thing.

The AT Pro is not outdated if it works for you.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first went out with my Apex I used the SMF setting since it was the simultaneous multi frequency I bought it for. After finding everything I could with SMF I went over the same field again using each of the single frequencies and was able to find a few more targets that SMF had missed.
Are you SURE the machine "missed" those targets, or did you miss them the first time through? Today I found a metal nut, about the same size as an earring back, down Seven-inches with the SMF NM Legend, using factory settings. I'll have the video up as a premier on my youtube channel about 7:45 EST. The Apex is not a good machine, but it is better than the AT Pro.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with the Pro. I still have mine. Have not used it some time, it hangs on the wall, but again, I will keep it, I really liked the 5x7 ? coil, liked it ALOT. When I take someone out who is new to detecting, I put the battery's in it, and we are good to go. You have a good detector, you may like to get a multi-Freq. type at some time, but keep the AT, never hurts to have more than one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread