Is the Minelab x terra pro the best inexpensive MD??

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
I'm looking to pick up another MD, is the Minelab x terra pro the best inexpensive MD??
In short - Yes it’s worth it, the best? It’s opinion based. (A month of short trips’ finds at the end pics inc my smallest hammered coin)

- Good battery life - 10+ hours at least on a full charge
- backlight in 2 levels and the torch to light up around the coil, so underestimated how useful that is!
- water proof and fairly solid, dropped a few times and it’s fine,
- comfortable and fully adjustable, the main…thing with the screen.. slides and locks in place anywhere on the bar.
- easy to adjust the length and the collapsible stem is fully adjustable with locking rubber things rather than those metal poles with springy pins you get on cheap ones)

I’ve owned one since the end of august this year, it’s safe to say it’s a capable machine that’s easy to learn.

It has a few adjustments but it’s simple enough and runs well off the standard programs. I’ve used it in woodland, dry and muddy farmland (plowed and disked) and has been fine.

Do expect to dig a few nails and larger iron pieces (5/6cm or odd shaped) but it does pretty well generally even in areas that are full of iron nails. My garden is so full you can just run the pinpointer on the ground and it won’t stop buzzing but the terra does fairly well.

I’ve dug up a fair few things including a gold Celtic stater and a few hammered English silver coins with it.

Depth is generally down to about 15cm on smaller targets ans coins down ro 20+ but you’ll get larger objects way deeper like a horseshow at about 35cm (deeper hole than the Nokta pulsedive pinpointer which is a beast)

Attachments

• FC5F636E-C4B4-4D0D-A1F1-5A301310ADBC.jpeg
    FC5F636E-C4B4-4D0D-A1F1-5A301310ADBC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 17753DFA-3C33-46B6-B566-B8300AF5EBC0.jpeg
    17753DFA-3C33-46B6-B566-B8300AF5EBC0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • B9DB7E9F-2DB5-4201-882E-582BF9E9D041.jpeg
    B9DB7E9F-2DB5-4201-882E-582BF9E9D041.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 8E9D1590-E8A7-4376-9333-90739FED66C8.jpeg
    8E9D1590-E8A7-4376-9333-90739FED66C8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 7F45D546-0EE5-426E-AE08-58BAC15DB475.jpeg
    7F45D546-0EE5-426E-AE08-58BAC15DB475.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 28

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't say it's the best. I've heard great things about the new versions of the Nokta Makro Simplex. I don't have a Simplex, but I do have an Xterra Pro. It is an all-around good machine out of the box. I use mine in parks and it finds the coins for sure. I surely do recommend it.

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
In short - Yes it’s worth it, the best? It’s opinion based. (A month of short trips’ finds at the end pics inc my smallest hammered coin)

- Good battery life - 10+ hours at least on a full charge
- backlight in 2 levels and the torch to light up around the coil, so underestimated how useful that is!
- water proof and fairly solid, dropped a few times and it’s fine,
- comfortable and fully adjustable, the main…thing with the screen.. slides and locks in place anywhere on the bar.
- easy to adjust the length and the collapsible stem is fully adjustable with locking rubber things rather than those metal poles with springy pins you get on cheap ones)

I’ve owned one since the end of august this year, it’s safe to say it’s a capable machine that’s easy to learn.

It has a few adjustments but it’s simple enough and runs well off the standard programs. I’ve used it in woodland, dry and muddy farmland (plowed and disked) and has been fine.

Do expect to dig a few nails and larger iron pieces (5/6cm or odd shaped) but it does pretty well generally even in areas that are full of iron nails. My garden is so full you can just run the pinpointer on the ground and it won’t stop buzzing but the terra does fairly well.

I’ve dug up a fair few things including a gold Celtic stater and a few hammered English silver coins with it.

Depth is generally down to about 15cm on smaller targets ans coins down ro 20+ but you’ll get larger objects way deeper like a horseshow at about 35cm (deeper hole than the Nokta pulsedive pinpointer which is a beast)
Thanks for the insight!!

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I can't say it's the best. I've heard great things about the new versions of the Nokta Makro Simplex. I don't have a Simplex, but I do have an Xterra Pro. It is an all-around good machine out of the box. I use mine in parks and it finds the coins for sure. I surely do recommend it.
Didn't know about the Simplex. I'll be looking into this MD. Thanks!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What will you be using it for?

The Lonely Explorer

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2023
I was out of the game for a bit, so I figured a new detector would be the way to go.
The X-terra hit all the checks on my list. Price, durability, comfortable, easy to use but still has settings and options. Coils are available, and wireless headphones, also completely waterproof.
For $269 I think it's the best detector. I think it's the kind of detector you can buy, get absolutely hooked on, and not feel bad selling to up-grade to something better, or be happy to keep it as a backup. I am sure you could easily sell an X-terra for $200-$225 used.
I plan on upgrading sometime next summer, and the x-terra is gonna be my backup and loaner unit. I am extremely happy with it, but after going side by side with my friend that has a manticore, it's pretty obvious I am going to want that soon lol.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
i know exactly what you mean, I wanted a detector that actually finds stuff so I purchased the terra exactly for those reasons, then I got a few long term permissions (over 10 large fields)

One field I’m doing atm got me everything from hammered silver and other things, so I upgraded to a deus 2 but still actively use the terra such as now on holiday I flew out with the terra since I can trust it to do an amazing job and if it breaks or something it’s like 20% the price of the D2

The Lonely Explorer

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2023
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it's a no brainer, I can't believe how cheap it is!
You really cannot go wrong with it.

I will say this. Set your expectations. It is still a sub $300 machine. It is amazing for $269 but it isn't amazing compared to a $1,000 machine. It's not multi-frequency, it has multiple frequencies, but not at the same time. So the target ID can be jumpy. This doesn't mean it's not telling you exactly what's down there. You have to listen to the tones on these machines. If it's high and chirpy, it's got a good chance of being something worth digging, even if the signal is bouncing between 89-94. Could be can-slaw sure, but it could very likely be a silver dime too. Want rock solid target ID on numbers, then you need a very expensive machine.
I just got a 6" coil for xtp and it's a night and day different of stability and separation, so consider if you'd like a new coil for your conditions as well.

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
You really cannot go wrong with it.

I will say this. Set your expectations. It is still a sub $300 machine. It is amazing for $269 but it isn't amazing compared to a $1,000 machine. It's not multi-frequency, it has multiple frequencies, but not at the same time. So the target ID can be jumpy. This doesn't mean it's not telling you exactly what's down there. You have to listen to the tones on these machines. If it's high and chirpy, it's got a good chance of being something worth digging, even if the signal is bouncing between 89-94. Could be can-slaw sure, but it could very likely be a silver dime too. Want rock solid target ID on numbers, then you need a very expensive machine.
I just got a 6" coil for xtp and it's a night and day different of stability and separation, so consider if you'd like a new coil for your conditions as well.
Thanks brother!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything. Beach, Desert etc.
If salt water beach hunting, or, gold nugget hunting is a large part of your detecting, a Vanquish is probably a better choice. It's true multi-frequency rather than selectable multi-frequency and includes the higher frequencies for small gold. That also works better in wet salt water sand and water. It's not fully waterproof like the Xterra however, so, just the coil up to the control box can be dunked. The Vanquish is another $100 or so, but, might be a better choice depending on your exact needs.

OP
OP
Rooster 777

Rooster 777

Jun 5, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
If salt water beach hunting, or, gold nugget hunting is a large part of your detecting, a Vanquish is probably a better choice. It's true multi-frequency rather than selectable multi-frequency and includes the higher frequencies for small gold. That also works better in wet salt water sand and water. It's not fully waterproof like the Xterra however, so, just the coil up to the control box can be dunked. The Vanquish is another $100 or so, but, might be a better choice depending on your exact needs.
Great input! If I go beach hunting, I'll never go deep enough into the water to kiss the control box. I might be grabbing a Vanquish. Thanks!

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
X-terra …If you want headphones… wireless don’t come with machine and cost about half of machine cost…

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread