Is the Safari worth it???

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
Written like that, it makes sense to buy an SE.

Or, you could wait untill IP gets ready to sell his explorer. :wink:

Don't pay too much for it though, it's got a couple hundred thousand miles on it. :D

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I appreciate the replies and would like to hear pros and cons.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to get the safari. I hunt only cellar holes but I came across a great deal on a used explorer XS and I love it because of the ferrous sounds that help me sniff out old goodies in heavy iron Safari does not have this feature that I have come to depend on. This one thing makes a big difference to my hunting success in cellar hole hunting. Hope this helps.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the Safari for two months now. I was previously using another brand. In all honesty, the Safari is a GREAT machine. Hits HARD on coins. I am NOT much of a tech head, so, that's why I got the Safari. Didn't want to spend two years learning a difficult machine. Safari is turn-on-and-go. That being said, there are a few minuses in my book...

1. Recovery speed on targets is pretty slow. Even using the high trash density setting. Especially if you're coming from a quicker machine. It's a bit of a pain. Definitely not a competition hunt machine in my book.

2. Learning the sounds and tones of the Minelab's can be a challenge. Even more so if you are coming off a relationship with another brand. Takes a bit of a learning curve. Not too difficult, but, takes some work and getting used to.

3. Swapping the coils on the Minelab's are a pain.

4. No ability to choose the tones on the Safari. Gold comes in as a low tone or a medium tone on these machines. Would be nice to be able to change the tones to something a bit higher for the jewelry items.

I am by no means a pro on my machine. Only had it for two months. However, I do have a bit of experience. In short, the Safari is a powerful, simple, all-in-one machine that can go to extreme depths. There are some quirks, but, for the money, I'd say pick one up. If not, try the MXT line by White's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread