Is there an GPS unit that will get me within 10 feet of a site?

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled up the foundation of an old house that used to be in a field and found settings that I could use with a gps, but have none at this time. went to this field Saturday and couldn't find it. going back this weekend with the map I pulled off the satellite maps.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Assuming that you live in the USA and specifically the southern portion of the continental USA, any GPS receiver that has Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) capability and can see one of the two satellites should get you better than 3m. If you are near an airport you may get 1m accuracy.

Usually around thirteen satellites are dedicated to WAAS, if you are lucky.
Keep out from underneath heavy timber, and away from direct contact of cliff faces
and buildings, to get good accuracy.
Oh, by the way, your Horizontal Datum should be same as when the waypoint
on the sites were set....could mean hundreds of feet difference...!
If you used a hard-copy topo map, there will be a notation what everything is set-to
on the sheet....

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my old GPS to find places, usually within 10 or 20 feet but the satellites have to be around me right [I agree with Sidevalve45 & eyemustdigtreasure]
Also, my GPS don't know where North is unless I am walking (or driving) but it tells me the "bearing" so I use a compass.

my old GPS is an etrex Venture Garmin & I really like my compass, it says Silva type 7 NL on it. It is better than my old military one LOL

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually around thirteen satellites are dedicated to WAAS, if you are lucky.
Keep out from underneath heavy timber, and away from direct contact of cliff faces
and buildings, to get good accuracy.
Oh, by the way, your Horizontal Datum should be same as when the waypoint
on the sites were set....could mean hundreds of feet difference...!
If you used a hard-copy topo map, there will be a notation what everything is set-to
on the sheet....
Forgot to add that when setting waypoints, find the best accuracy, set the point, then use "Averaging" to get even better closure, and the longer you wait, the better it gets (usually)...! ....then click "Save"

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to add that when setting waypoints, find the best accuracy, set the point, then use "Averaging" to get even better closure, and the longer you wait, the better it gets (usually)...! ....then click "Save"
Add that once you find poor accuracy in heavy tree canopy then follow your separate compass on the same bearing you’ll get there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread