Is there an iron mask setting on the MXT?

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...if so, I need it. I have found a great site to hunt. It's an old 4 four-story farmhouse with servants quarters, chicken coop, barn, and outhouse, all still standing!! I have found a few things there already, but its difficult because there seems to be a TON of iron in the ground around the house. Any recommendations? Should I get a smaller coil? Will it find the deep stuff? Is there a setting on the MXT to ignore the iron?

Thanks in advance..

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isnt any setting that will "ignore" iron, on any detector. You can discriminate it out, but if it is under the coil along with something else then you lose that with it.

Iron will also mess with your detector and skew your ID results when anything else is near it. The only real answer is to see less of it or get rid of it first.

To do the first, get an elliptical DD for your MXT. To do the latter bend your knee to the earth.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've worked a lot of very trashy areas with my MXT this summer using different coils. The standard 9.5" is very frustrating in heavy trash, if not impossible. The 8X10 DD is noticeably better even though it covers a fairly large area. The 5.3 is quite a bit better yet but loses a bit of depth. The 4X6 is superb in heavy trash, but at the expense of less depth and less ground coverage. However, the 4X6 is good to 6" or so depending on the target and the size forces one to hunt patiently and thoroughly which isn't a bad thing. I really like the MXT and feel it is an excellent detector, but to get the most from it in different hunting conditions, one should have at least a couple of the optional coils. My two bits.
HH
Bill

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a second thought to your iron masking question. While operating in the RELIC MODE, the trigger on the hand grip in the FORWARD position, the DISC set to "O" ferrous (iron) metals produce a lower pitch beep and Nonferrous (not iron) produce a higher pitch beep.
2. PROSPECTING MODE - With the trigger in the center primary position, significant ferrous (iron) produces a distinctive audio grunt, nonferrous (not iron) produces a high pitch VCO dependant zip zip sound.
This is found in chapter 5 MXT Controls, page 21 of the Owner's Guide. Don't know how much this will help, but it seems worth knowing and trying.
Good Luck,
Bill

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
HI, Luvsdux explained it well, I have an older Explorer xs and that is what I've been doing with it. Basically on my machine the way I understand it is on -16 Iron Mask, I'm in true all metal mode, but running in ferrous sounds I've got "in theory" all low tones are iron and high tones are non-ferrous in a nutshell!! I still dig alot of junk, but I'm still new to this beast! I"m getting to where I really like hearing everything thats in the ground, because I know that I'm at least not missing anything because it's being masked by the iron, ok, maybe I'm missing some things, but not as much as before!! Hope this helps..........Nascarfan

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
dahut said:
There isnt any setting that will "ignore" iron, on any detector.
I beg to differ, :D I have the sovereign elite it nulls iron,it works well Ive dug one nail in 3 years.
Not bashing any brands as a matter of fact Im looking to get the mxt myself,they all have there good points.
Dave

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Dave45, From everything I've read on Findmall and here and experienced out in the field, if you're nulling over iron your flat missing coins..........On the Explorer, that's the purpose of running wide open so you can see through the iron, pick up the good high tone and not null over the iron and coin that's in close proximity to each other!! Thanks, Nascarfan

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Luvsdux hit it. Relic program with Disc. at zero. I use it and like it. Kind of a tone ID I guess. I like to use the above settings especially if I'm pretty sure pulltabs won't be a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread