Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah there is....and it hurts just as bad.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are exercises you can do to alleviate it. Google "exercises for tennis elbow". I incorporate them into my daily gym workout, and it helps.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I found that walking (and swinging) backwards helps!:laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I experienced the same pain my first year. There was a 2 acre park that was infested with clad (from 30 years of the Annual 4th of July picnic), I could not swing fast enough. It seemed that every 3 sweeps, I hit a target. I have learned to slow down a little after getting tennis elbow. I was pulling anywhere from $30 to $40 worth of clad each day in the beginning without using a pin pointer. I would start at 8 AM and swung until 4:30 PM, drive home, eat dinner, and then go back for 2 to 3 more hours.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's a lot of time swinging. I can usually only do 3-4 hours at a time, and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. My first bout of swingers elbow came with my Ace 250, then with my AT Pro. I added a straight shaft to the AT Pro that really helped. I got it from BZBadger who used to sell them on his now defunct web site. Here is the string for that conversation http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/452081-pro-gold-retro-fit-handle.html. He may still sell them, but he hasn't been on T-net for over a year. I don't have that issue with the S handled Makro Racer, and I think it's because its better balanced then the AT Pro with it's 3 story control box up front.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The AT Pro made my elbow hurt after 4 hours of use.

The Deus does not do that. Well balanced and light weigh.

GL Truth!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Knew a guy who had to quit entirely because of MD Elbow. By then he had totally mastered his
machine. One day two of us we were quitting and he walked up and dug a silver quarter right by
my other friend's foot.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The exercises look kind of goofy when done at the gym Exercises for Tennis Elbow: 5 Moves for Rehab but if you look at them, they are all designed to strengthen the muscles in your forearms. I hardly ever see people working these muscles at the gym. They are really small muscles compared to the others that most people concentrate on developing, but for us they are a major player in our hobby. Do these exercises 5 times a day and you will feel the benefits.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I remember having that issue a few years ago. I bought a little brace at the drug store. I believe it was like a band that went around my forearm. Somehow it pinched the nerve or something to keep the elbow from hurting. Go ask the pharmacist. Good luck

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I experienced the same pain my first year. There was a 2 acre park that was infested with clad (from 30 years of the Annual 4th of July picnic), I could not swing fast enough. It seemed that every 3 sweeps, I hit a target. I have learned to slow down a little after getting tennis elbow. I was pulling anywhere from $30 to $40 worth of clad each day in the beginning without using a pin pointer. I would start at 8 AM and swung until 4:30 PM, drive home, eat dinner, and then go back for 2 to 3 more hours.

Man you sound like me. Laughing7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The exercises look kind of goofy when done at the gym Exercises for Tennis Elbow: 5 Moves for Rehab but if you look at them, they are all designed to strengthen the muscles in your forearms. I hardly ever see people working these muscles at the gym. They are really small muscles compared to the others that most people concentrate on developing, but for us they are a major player in our hobby. Do these exercises 5 times a day and you will feel the benefits.

Thanks Doc. I'm starting to think my right shoulder is bigger than my left.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about exercises, but there are bands that you can wear a bit down the arm from the elbow that put a steady, moderate pressure that slowly stretches the tendons slightly and over time gives full relief. I've worn one several different times. The first time took a few weeks. Since then, I wear the band as soon as I notice the pain starting to come back. Seems casting with a fly rod sets mine off. Bummer, when it's caused by doing something you like for fun.
luvsdux

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patience Grass Hopper, no exercises necessary, just slow your roll... The pain is not worth it, slow down and enjoy the hobby. I understand the notion that there is so much Terra Firma an so little time, but this is to be an enjoyable endeavor and not a pain filled activity. You are simply swinging the coil too aggressively.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Truth1253: This is a VERY SERIOUScondition. In order to prevent further complications, you need to send me all your MD-related equipment immediately. I know it's a big burden for me, but I'll step up and help you out.:laughing1:
HH
dts

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not try swinging with your other arm its awkward at first but if you get used to it its not that bad i do it to try and keep i shape I can dig with my right arm whay better never hurt to try

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patience Grass Hopper, no exercises necessary, just slow your roll... The pain is not worth it, slow down and enjoy the hobby. I understand the notion that there is so much Terra Firma an so little time, but this is to be an enjoyable endeavor and not a pain filled activity. You are simply swinging the coil too aggressively.

Oh wise sensei I believe you're right I'm out there swinging like a nut, that extra shot of espresso's not helping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread