Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So now that I've gained a little practice restoring and I'ding, over the last couple of days I've gone back to some of the coppers I found earlier in the summer that I thought were toasted beyond all reckoning and worked em over a bit. Tonight I'm seeing clear hair ribbon detail in one of them...could it be a KG of the 1717 series? Looks like those have a different hair ribbon relative to 1719 on, but I don't have a base of comparison for how they appear with wear. Also, this bust is so left-shifted compared to the standard pic; any ideas?

My first digital scale and calipers are on order, so I hope this is enough detail without objective measurements. I've placed it next to my 1723 for comparison.

Iron Patch, Erik, George, Don, Steve, others?

Thanks!

Ken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HOLY COW!!!! Shows you how little I know! It didn't even occur to me to look earlier. Did I have a coin from the 1600s for the last 3 months and not even know it?!

Am I in the 1600s club!! ???

Attachments

• william and mary.jpg
    william and mary.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 108

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like one of the two coins, not a KG. I'd probably give the nod to the W&M. Due to the offset bust. If you hold the coin at an angle to the light you might be able to pick up more detail that can't be seen in the pics. Great coin either way! :thumbsup:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree Wiliam and Mary!!!
Nice re-find..
Congrats, and welcome to the club. Lol
Ps, does it seem a little thicker and smaller? Could be the farthing.

Last edited:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Welcome to the 1600's club.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I feel a bit silly and quite grateful. I'm learning and fortunate.

Good god, this has been an AWESOME summer. I went from a couple of mercury dimes and scratching around in playgrounds two years ago, to going out maybe 3x last year and thinking this hobby was a waste of time, to finding coins from every century 1600-1900, including silver from the 1800s & 1900s, a half cent, three state coppers, as well as rev war items!

If someone had told me last year this was going to happen, I wouldn't have believed them for a second. I have a guy named mud dog Mandy on YouTube to thank. I happened upon one of his detecting videos late last winter, when he dug up a Spanish silver in a field in my region. It totally ignited me, so I bought an at pro and started looking seriously at maps of my area. Thanks, Mud Dog!!!

And thanks very much for the responses and generally good cheer, everyone. Unlike most of the Internet, this forum seems to be full of pleasant and intelligent people who are generous with their knowledge and very encouraging of one another. I'm glad to have found this community.

Last edited:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking William and Mary halfpenny as well. Looks like there are two busts and the ribbon is too close to the left edge of the coin to be a KG. Congratulations!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the W & M! Most are so worn you will never see a date. By the way the 1717 KG I is a lot smaller and thicker than a 1723 KG I.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you're a part of a select club, not many members i guess. Now I wish you a silver one, HH!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, a W&M. What part of the country are you in?

Thanks JF. I live and hunt along the VT/NY border. I checked out your website. Really nicely done, and very cool finds.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you're a part of a select club, not many members i guess. Now I wish you a silver one, HH!

What a cool thing to say! If I find a colonial-era silver this year, I don't know what I'll do with myself. Probably spin in circles and fall down, like I have three times this summer. : )

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread