🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this a button? If not, what?

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Approx. 5/8" (15mm) dia. It's attracted to a magnet. The shank--if that's what it is--(top right) was double, and offset from the middle (toward top). Found on grounds of 1850 farm house.
1715109086296.png

If this is a button, any info.?
If not, any clues as to what it is?

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt its a button or a snap because it would rust when you washed the clothes. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your find does appear to be an iron 2-piece button. We know for certain they were used on Military-issue "long-underwear" (longjohns) because we dig lots of those 2-piece iron buttons in civil war military campsites. Yes, iron buttons can cause a rust stain on clothing AFTER the tin-plating has worn off. But that didn't seem to matter much with underwear, which (usually) was not publicly visible, except on a clothesline.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your find does appear to be an iron 2-piece button. We know for certain they were used on Military-issue "long-underwear" (longjohns) because we dig lots of those 2-piece iron buttons in civil war military campsites. Yes, iron buttons can cause a rust stain on clothing AFTER the tin-plating has worn off. But that didn't seem to matter much with underwear, which (usually) was not publicly visible, except on a clothesline.
Thank you--that's very exciting.
The offset shank threw me off, but some kind of... erm... union suit might make sense. 😁

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions