Is this a button??

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Went to an old house tonight (91 years old) and messed around for 30 minutes. Found a few things. One of the things I found appears to be made out of lead or pewter. I think it is a button. The tricky thing about it is that it appears to have an E or M on it until you take a closeup picture and then it looks like a house? Maybe it is just from being in the ground? Do you think this is a button?

Attachments

• allfinds1.JPG
    allfinds1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 337
  • buttonmaybe.JPG
    buttonmaybe.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 332
  • buttonback1.JPG
    buttonback1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 337
  • ebutton.JPG
    ebutton.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 304

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am VERY limited in my knowlege of buttons, but it looks like one to me. Seems like that string would have attatched it to the garment. But I'm sure someone will chime in. PBK?

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I think it's probably a lead seal of the type used on railroad boxcars, utility meters, etc. A hand-held seal press is used to crimp the lead disk onto a loop of wire (or sometimes twine), and at the same time a die in the press embosses letters, numbers, symbols, etc. onto the seal.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I suspect it to be...lead cap from tin roofing nails. I've been finding many of them in the locations of the barn, corn crib, packing shed around the farm. Most of these buildings are 130+ years old. There are still some on the barn roof. Do you need to see a photo of what I have?

;) RR

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or a manmade plug for a hole.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Looking again at the third photo, I'd say that RR might be right. The back is pretty rough for a seal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
River Rat said:
Here's what I suspect it to be...lead cap from tin roofing nails. I've been finding many of them in the locations of the barn, corn crib, packing shed around the farm. Most of these buildings are 130+ years old. There are still some on the barn roof. Do you need to see a photo of what I have?

;) RR

If you don't mind I would really appreciate a picture of what you have. I really didn't think it was a button but the front of the item really looks like it has an E or an m on it that doesn't show up well in the pictures. Still it is something I didn't have before and I do know that the house has a tin type roof on it. BTW There are two HUGE lightning rods on top of the house with beautiful glass balls on them. I spoke to the farmer since they are getting ready to tear down the house and told him I would love to have one of these when he tears down the house. He said he hadn't given it much thought but he would think about it. Next time I am out I will take a picture of them they are really something.

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead Cap Back.jpg
This is the bottom

Lead Cap Top.jpg
The top...my eyes are deceiving me seems I'm seeing a "E". But, only when it is wet.

All I know when I find them the A$$ says throw them in the garbage & wash your hands. It's lead and I can get lead poisoning. Well, this is the only one I have left and it hidden away so ssssh! don't tell him.

;) RR

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw them in the garbage and wash your hands! Give your A$$ a break! M :D nty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I really don't think hadling a little lead will harm you in any way. If that were the case think of all the fisherman that would have lead poisoning, wait a minute lerning problems, lower IQ, decreased appetite hmmm these are all symptoms of lead posioning. Most people I know that fish go to a lot of trouble and expense to fish, they keep going back to the same places over and over hoping that next time they will catch a fish, they tend to consume a lot of beer and little else during their fishing trips. That explains a lot about all the fisherman I know!!!!!! LOL Just joking I go fishing with my father-in-law often.

But to be honest I am in the healthcare field and occasionally handling a piece of lead is not going to posion you. Just make sure you wash your hands good after handling it and don't eat it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread