what 2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 911

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: "what was this relic used for"???

I know I have seen one of those on here before so someone knows what it is....but as a practice shot for me...looks like something used on a horse's reigns. But that's just a guess. So wo's gonna tell me I'm wrong?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Now here's a guess from way out in right field.

A game-keeper.

It is attached to a belt or hunting pouch and as small game is harvested it is threaded onto the "arms" of the loop (birds, squirrels and bunnies all have a tendon behind the lower legbone and it is easy to poke a hole between then for threading the loop through).

Allows the game to air out and bleed out as the hunt continues (unlike a bag).

I've never seen one exactly like that but I've seen some similar enough.

Upvote 0

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

How about a brooch of some kind for holding your toga at the shoulder???

Upvote 0

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Wait wait...going back to the game keeper thing. You hung the game on this thing while it was attached to your clothes? To let the blood drain? To air out, I can understand but the blood dripping on you.... :-X

Can you say...ewww...ick..... and don't you come into this house until you've taken off those hunting clothes Mr! ( or Mrs!)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tricia said:
Wait wait...going back to the game keeper thing. You hung the game on this thing while it was attached to your clothes? To let the blood drain? To air out, I can understand but the blood dripping on you.... :-X

Can you say...ewww...ick..... and don't you come into this house until you've taken off those hunting clothes Mr! ( or Mrs!)

Why do you think it's called a "blood sport"? Hung on the outside of your leather or canvas haversack or hunting pouch (to protect your clothes and also keep the fleas and lice from migrating to warm 'ol you as the game cooled). Life is hard for carnivores. Worse for vegetarians. ;)

I take it yours is not a home where the hubby drops the game (or fresh killed chicken) at the back door feathers and all as the supper contribution? :D THE ADMIRAL can do two chickens from still floppin to the pot in 40 minutes.

Here's an image of a modern reproduction from an early American version game hanger.

granthanger0306051.jpg

And here's a more rustic variation that looped through a buttonhole on the pouch.

gamehanger1.jpg

And here's me (center) showing a gameless haversack (between a NY and a PA Game Warden, by the way).

Attachments

• WashakRondy2.jpg
    WashakRondy2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 562
  • WashakRondy2.jpg
    WashakRondy2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007

Nope, all food comes courtesy of the grocery store or a nice restaurant where someone else has done the plucking. ;D

Upvote 0

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

::)Jeeeeze ,kids these days! If one grew up during the great depression,you hunted every day,and sometimes we hung the kill from a fence to bleed out and de flea, then picked it up on the way back.Otherwise we carried it on a modified clothes hanger Bob

Upvote 0

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks to me like Charlie P. (NY) nailed it........a "game-keeper". Isn't that some dried blood I see on the lyre-shaped loop (particularly in the second pic) ? Sorry if this idea offends anyone.

Todd

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread