Breezie
Gold Member
- Joined
- Oct 3, 2009
- Messages
- 6,278
- Reaction score
- 2,120
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- North Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Hey Gang,
I'm wondering if this is a Civil War wormer or cleaner? I've looked in several of my CW books, and I really can't tell much difference between them. I'm not even sure this is CW era, but considering it was found near a camp, I think it is. From my understanding, a wormer is to pull out a bullet and of course the cleaner is the clean the barrel, but they look the same to me.
Any help and explanation would be appreciated. Breezie
I'm wondering if this is a Civil War wormer or cleaner? I've looked in several of my CW books, and I really can't tell much difference between them. I'm not even sure this is CW era, but considering it was found near a camp, I think it is. From my understanding, a wormer is to pull out a bullet and of course the cleaner is the clean the barrel, but they look the same to me.
Any help and explanation would be appreciated. Breezie

I went back through my books, and found this pic in Howard Crouch's Civil War Artifacts. I also did some cleaning, and you're also right about it being able to rotate at 90 degrees. I didn't force it, but I cleaned it enough to know it will move.








