l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be, but diameter and composition are needed. Is it attracted to a magnet? The orangish tint looks kind of like rust but might just be the soil where it was found.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
5/8" = .625" is In the size range of a muzzleloading musket or rifle. Is it heavy like lead? If you could weigh it, a table on the internet would tell you whether the weight for that size of ball is lead.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I'm not sure how to use this forum yet, I just joined. It's not magnetic. It's about 5/8"" in diameter. I'm really excited. This is the first cool thing I have found. I think.
Welcome to Tnet!!! Could be a musket ball:) I’d weigh it like Almy said. With the dimensions and weight You should be able to figure it out with the tables that he suggested.
Sorry I'm not sure how to use this forum yet, I just joined. It's not magnetic. It's about 5/8"" in diameter. I'm really excited. This is the first cool thing I have found. I think.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap musket ball has my vote.

Oct 18, 2022
Detector(s) used
I have not used a metal detector yet. I just look for pennies after watching that viral tiktok of the 1992 penny D-closed AM that is worth around $26,000
According to (https://classroom.synonym.com/identify-revolutionary-war-musket-balls-7633630.html), the diameter of a musket ball is between 0.39 - 0.80 inches. So, what I need you to do is weigh your musket ball (because they are usually heavy for their size compared to glass balls or marble balls), look for a mold seam or the evidence of a mold seam (which would look like the image down below; Mold Seams on a musket ball would have a line right down the middle or a crack down the middle), then look for a casting sprue (which would look like a bump or a hole on the top of the ball), and carefully clean it professionally (google how to if needed), and if the color is a light tan, white, or a reddish-brown, then it might be a musket ball.

If that ball matches all of these things, then you have a musket ball! Enjoy observing!

Oct 18, 2022
Detector(s) used
I have not used a metal detector yet. I just look for pennies after watching that viral tiktok of the 1992 penny D-closed AM that is worth around $26,000
That's fine. I just joined too, like last night, but I know my stuff, and I'm good at researching too. Like I said, try to look for a bump or hole on the top, and look for a line right through the middle. So, if you find that, you might have a musket ball. Where'd you find it by the way?

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Homemade lead gun balls often had mold seams and sprue marks, but they were sometimes filed off too. Many of these balls were factory made and were perfect spheres without any marks. They were shipped from England by the barrel for years in the early colonial days, I recall reading. If you ball is lead, its diameter and patina strongly suggest that it is a muzzleloading gun projectile. They're commonly called "musket balls" but might be for a rifle as well as a smoothbore musket.

OP
OP
S

Spill

Oct 15, 2022
Near Kingston new York which the British burned down in 1777.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread