Is this a musket ball?

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals, found this in the yard of an old home built around 1915. There was a log home that sat in the same spot before it was built. Any idea if this is a small musket ball? Any help would be appreciate!
81629955-0BD6-4D40-B632-D137CFD0D76F.jpeg FB3F88F4-D605-4D68-86D1-65F07C407EB2.jpeg 11B9882D-ECBF-42ED-9FA6-05EDA9080966.jpeg

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
yes, pistol ball with mold mark (seam) and the little extra 'nip' that squeezed out the mold. Wasn't fired, but dropped. Made in the field. Always a good find.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell. Probably NOT 20th century, and in your area, probably around the Civil War period, but it was hand made as stillwater stated.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a musket ball, too small, but it is a round ball. Could be for a rifle or pistol, no way to really tell. An exact measurement with calipers would give you the caliber.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree it looks like a fishing weight just my opinion

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong on this, but I don't think buck shot was made by casting in a mold. Rifles were made in .32 caliber and even smaller, Colt revolvers were made in .31 caliber. My bet would be on a rifle or revolver ball. An accurate measurement would be a big help.

Upvote 0

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong on this, but I don't think buck shot was made by casting in a mold. Rifles were made in .32 caliber and even smaller, Colt revolvers were made in .31 caliber. My bet would be on a rifle or revolver ball. An accurate measurement would be a big help.

I have been thinking about getting a triple ought or #3 buckshot mold which measures .250 since I am already casting bullets for my .357. The smallest buckshot mold I have seen is a #4 which measures.240.
I agree with you that an accurate measurement would help.

Upvote 0

Gambrinus

Dec 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the late 1700s, small shot (up to about 3.8mm as a maximum) was usually made by pouring molten lead through a sieve at the top of a chimney-like tower (a process patented in 1782). The sieve broke up the stream into small droplets which then formed spheres as they dropped from a height into a cold water tank at the bottom. The shot was then sorted by tipping it onto a slightly inclined table and anything that didn't roll down the slope went for re-melting. In 1848 a patent was filed for the addition of a cold air blast that shortened the height of the drop required.

Before these processes, shot was usually made by dribbling the lead directly into cold water without first free-falling in a tower (poor quality of roundness, but cheap) or in moulds (good quality of roundness, but expensive). Larger shot was usually made by cutting lead sheet into small pieces and barrel-tumbling them until they were round.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree it looks like a fishing weight just my opinion

I can see that, but I think it is a small musket or pistol ball. The round fishing sinkers I am familiar with are split shots and they have a crack down the side... it could just be me but I don't see a crack on the side.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wish I knew how to accurately measure it !

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have or can't borrow a set of callipers do you have a full set of drill bits for wood? If so, you can bore a series of holes into a piece of wood and get a pretty accurate measure of diameter by trying the ball progressively in the holes.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EC.Mason wrote:
> I don't know how to accurately measure it. [...] I wish I did [have a set of Calipers].

EC, you can buy a very good quality set of stainless-steel (not cheap plastic) Digital Calipers at Harbor Freight Tools for a mere $15 to $19... either at the HFT website or a local HFT store in your town.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=digital caliper
Trust me, you will come around to thinking that's one of the best under-$20 investments you've ever made in your life. Being able to do super-precise measuring (hundredths-of-an-inch) will come in handy and save (or make) you money in more areas of life than just doing relic-identification.

About calipers for CORRECT relic-identification:
Super-accurate measurement of size isn't just helpful for correctly identifying bullets. Buttons and buckles and coins also need super-accurate measurement. Being able to measure them in millimeters or hundredths-of-an-inch helps you spot a Reproduction, or (worse) a Fake buckle or button or counterfeit coin being sold as a valuable Original. Take my word about that, and spend the $18 for steel digital calipers.

If you don't want to ever buy batteries, pay $1 more to get the non-electrical watchdial version of calipers.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-dial-caliper-63730.html

Attachments

• caliper_bullet-diameter-measuring_TN_fyrffytr1_P1074954 (2).jpg
    caliper_bullet-diameter-measuring_TN_fyrffytr1_P1074954 (2).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 32
  • calipers_Digital-Calipers_leadcanister003.jpg
    calipers_Digital-Calipers_leadcanister003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread