What's new

is this a penny?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
2,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this 6" down in a field. Looks like a penny but I cannot find a single distinguishing mark. It rang up at 80/81 on the AT Pro (copper penny). It weighs 3.5 grams vs 3.1 grams that the wheat penny weighs. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2156penny1.webp
    IMG_2156penny1.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2157penny2.webp
    IMG_2157penny2.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2158penny3.webp
    IMG_2158penny3.webp
    30 KB · Views: 274
Sure looks like a penny, but which type is hard to tell.

Have you tried to clean it yet?


Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0
copper cent pre 83 caught in a bit of cement --thus extra weight. -- post 83 zinc cent would have been ate to bits by the acidic cement . :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I scraped away what I could and it was revealed to NOT be a penny. Unfortunately I do not know what it was. It was stuck together with asphalt or some sort of hard black adhesive. It was 2 pieces that are now apart. I have no clue what it was.
 
Upvote 0
No problem, Ben! :icon_thumleft:

If you get a chance, maybe you can post a picture of your find now that you have it separated.

I'd sure like to see this one figured out! :thumbsup:


Sky Pilot
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom