What's new

✅ SOLVED Is this a piece of a Celt? If so, what era?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
All, found this a few days ago at what I believe was a cabin site in southern Ohio. While I've found a point and a few pieces of worked flint nearby, this doesn't appear to be flint or chert. Besides its uniform shape and one side that comes to an edge, it feels heavy for its size. Is this a piece of a Celt? If so, what era?
 

Attachments

  • Possible Celt.webp
    Possible Celt.webp
    322.4 KB · Views: 77
That’s definitely a broken celt. Celts first came into use during the Early Woodland period in the Midwest, around 1000 BC. They were in common use after that.
ToddsPoint, thank you so much for the ID and era! Will mark as solved. I plan to go back to the site tomorrow, so keep a look out for the other part(s).

I'll donate the celt to the local historical society in an educational display case. That will join the 33 I've donated in previous years.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom