Is this a Revolutionary War cannonball??

Rseod

Jun 27, 2019
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Vallon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ED136348-1BCE-4E31-8591-35F29AE164C7.jpeg

I responded to an incident on a dredge ship working in the Atlantic, near Virginia Beach, found this stuck in the ships dredge head. It’s approx 5” in diameter and weighs 17.2lbs (bathroom scale). The research I’ve done since retrieving it leads me to believe it’s a French 18lb revolutionary war cannonball, even cooler is that there were two ship battles fought in the area it was dredged from, both between the French and the Brits... So, I’m hoping somebody here can tell me that’s plausible, or if I’m wrong.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a Revolutionary War naval battle called the Battle of the Virginia Capes, where the French did engage the British, so it is very possible.

Now this is what you want to do now: Get a bucket and submerge the ball in fresh water and forget about it for awhile. Change out the water every week or so. There is salt in it and if you don't, when it dries on a molecular level, you will have a pile of lumpy dust. This can take several months. It would be wise to get a salt water hydrometer for an aquarium and when the salt goes to zero, leave it a few more weeks, then the ball will be stabilized. Lots of folks get iron out of salt water then are in despair in a few months or so when it cracks up and becomes worthless.

That's a great find.

OP
OP
R

Rseod

Jun 27, 2019
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Vallon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that advice, I’m going going to do that right away!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't regret it. I just love it when the hydrometer goes to "0" and stays there awhile. I even use it on copper, silver and gold from the ocean.

OP
OP
R

Rseod

Jun 27, 2019
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Vallon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5B8BA54D-ADAA-4E75-822B-F66F9190800F.jpeg F0D72F70-6621-485A-8F2E-43FD68C75FAA.jpeg

Here’s a couple more pics of it.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to DISARM IT be sure to WEAR EAR PLUGS !!!! LOL
NICE FIND ALSO

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gare said:
> If you have to DISARM IT be sure to WEAR EAR PLUGS !
I'm sure you were (mostly) joking. But just so you and everybody else who reads this discussion-thread will know:
The iron ball's finder sys it is "approximately 5 inches in diameter" and "weighs 17.2 pounds."
According to the historical cannonball diameter-&-precise-weight size charts here:
Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns
an iron ball which is 5.1 inches in diameter and weighs 18 pounds is a Solid-Shot ball, not a hollow explosive one.
In addition to charts telling the very-precise diameter and weight of cannon balls, Grapeshot balls, and Canister-shot balls, at the bottom of that webpage is another very helpful chart. it tells the precise diameter of a SOLID iron ball whose weight is 1 pound, 2 pounds, and so one, up to 50 pounds.

My point is:
Knowing a spherical object's material (such as iron), its exact size, and its exact weight, can tell you whether it is a Solid object or a hollow one. That fact, and the cannonball/Grapeshot/Canister-ammo charts at the link above, are very helpful when you've found an iron ball and you need to know whether it is a Solid or a hollow one. The only way a solid one can hurt you ios if you drop it on your foot. :)

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the find of the cannonball. Nice piece of History there. Great advice given also by Smokey and the Cannonballguy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread