What's new

Is this a Waller knife?

tonykidd

Full Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Messages
204
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing I know that looks similar to this is a Waller knife. If so, first I've found.
Thanks for looking.

IMG_1213.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yes, that does look like it could possibly be one. A Waller knife is usually unifaced and has a median ridge that runs down the length of the blade and is predominately known to be found in the Southeast part of the country. Here is a picture of one that I think is a Waller knife that I found in Ohio.

000_0063.webp
 
Is the blade unifaced? If so it could very well be. A Waller knife will most of the time be basically a hafted utilized flake most often uni-faced . A classic example will have a noticeable medial ridge running longtitudinally down the length of the point with secondary flaking on the edges and a button type base. The theory of usage is thought to be tied around the wrist kind of like a hanging knife as for most of the bases on these blades seem to be to thin etc. to have been hafted for a handle.
 
Yes, that does look like it could possibly be one. A Waller knife is usually unifaced and has a median ridge that runs down the length of the blade and is predominately known to be found in the Southeast part of the country. Here is a picture of one that I think is a Waller knife that I found in Ohio.

View attachment 1424903



Sorry for for the redundancy, when I started writing my reply you had not posted yours yet.
 
These are the different sides. A Waller is the only thing I know of that's similar.

waller knife1.webp
waller knife2.webp
waller knife3.webp
waller knife4.webp
 
Here is some info on Waller Knives and some pictures of some a friend of mine has from southern Georgia and other areas. I have sent him two from my area, one I found years ago, and another I found in a Flea Market junk box for a couple bucks. Not sure of yours is though since most are Uniface. The ones I sent him are the two at the bottom of the picture.

Waller Knife
 

Attachments

  • Waller-1.webp
    Waller-1.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 444
Here is some info on Waller Knives and some pictures of some a friend of mine has from southern Georgia and other areas. I have sent him two from my area, one I found years ago, and another I found in a Flea Market junk box for a couple bucks. Not sure of yours is though since most are Uniface. The ones I sent him are the two at the bottom of the picture.

Waller Knife

Those are the style I'm familiar with.
The biface is throwing me off. It could be something they just whipped up on the spur of the moment.
 
It looks woodland to me. There are many woodland type stemmed points (knifes) in this area, that I find don't really fall in a typology such as a Hernando, fairland, duval, and Tallahassee. They often seem crude and just made for business. Nonetheless , you have found a complete artifact and that is way better than I am doing at this moment as a keyboard commando.
 
What do ya'll mean when you describe it as unifaced?

Uni=1, Bi=2.
In other words a UNIface has flaking on one face (or side), and a BIface is worked on both sides. Look at the pictures above. Some of the ones posted by The Grim Reaper have only one side that has been worked, and are relatively flat on the side you can't see. If you look at the one I posted, both sides (faces) have been worked.
 
What do ya'll mean when you describe it as unifaced?

Here's a few pictures showing two Uniface Tools. One side will be flaked while the other will be flat and usually show a bulb of percussion where it was struck from the parent Core.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0081.webp
    DSC_0081.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0079.webp
    DSC_0079.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0070.webp
    DSC_0070.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0068.webp
    DSC_0068.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0066.webp
    DSC_0066.webp
    16 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0078.webp
    DSC_0078.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 87
Interesting thread I've never heard of a Waller knife. And reaper is the one who taught me about the uni-faced tools. .... Always like learning
 
This is my only Waller. I found it early on in my collecting, kept it only because it looked like a flake with notches (duhh) and put it in the back of the truck, where it eventually got broke (duhh one more time). Good ol' Elmers.

waller.webp
 
This one, I don't know, even though one of the experts in Deep South artifacts said it was one, albeit pretty refined. The number, if anybody's wondering, makes it the fifth artifact I found. I quit numbering and cataloging years ago, but should've kept doing it. What's y'all's opinions on it?

waller1.webp waller2.webp waller3.webp
 
Interesting thread I've never heard of a Waller knife. And reaper is the one who taught me about the uni-faced tools. .... Always like learning

Same here- those things are pretty crazy looking you have there Grim. If I had found one I'd thought it was some sort of unfinished point.... good to know !
 
Tony, what would you consider these? The grey one with the blue vein almost looks like a brother of yours.tk1.webptk2.webptk3.webptk4.webp
 
Last edited:
Thanks Tonykidd & The Grim Reaper for your help.
i wish I had checked for your responses sooner. I do think I found and throwed back down a Waller knife yesterday. Here in eastern NC where I hunt lots of artifacts have been hit with big equipment while the land is tilled for farming hence when I find worked pieces they look sharred or appear to be damaged I usually just throw the artifact back where I found it. Unfortunately I have probably throwed back quite a few of the Waller knives :(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom