What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Is this Agate?

Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
The striped pattern and colour makes me think it is an Agate nodule of sorts, could someone help me confirm this? Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • 20230701_140341.webp
    20230701_140341.webp
    492.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230701_140352.webp
    20230701_140352.webp
    515.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230701_140358.webp
    20230701_140358.webp
    454.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230701_140514.webp
    20230701_140514.webp
    500.9 KB · Views: 62
Axel's Nature's Best said:
> The striped pattern and colour makes me think it is an Agate nodule of sorts,
> could someone help me confirm this?

Confirming for you, it is a type of Agate. Your find (or purchase, inheritance, or gift) is a rather unusual specimen, as the banding is more clearly visible on its heavily weathered outside than on its inside. That is the opposite of usual. I would describe your find as a blend of Agate, Chalcedony, and Jasper.

(I'm speaking as a former Geology Major, and longtime "rock-hound," whose most-favorite field hunts are for the Agate varieties.... I still have some of those which I found about 55 years ago in Northwest Georgia.)
 
Upvote 2
Upvote 1
I agree with Cannonball, definitely agate, and a nice looking one at that. Both agate and jasper are chalcedony, agate being translucent and jasper opaque. I'm also an old rockhound and a lapidary, I'd slice that baby up and make something out of it.
 
Upvote 2

Similar threads

Replies
8
Views
645
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this, Agate?
Replies
6
Views
543

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom