What's new

is this an "older" point

CASPER-2

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
17,375
Reaction score
20,667
Golden Thread
1
Location
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this an "older" point

quartz and kind of crude
found in colonial farm field
 

Attachments

  • indian arrowhead.webp
    indian arrowhead.webp
    71.3 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
Re: is this an "older" point

looks fairly well made being quartz, nice find!
 
Re: is this an "older" point

Nice find! I found a very nice scraper this weekend made of the same beautiful quartz. White all over with sharp edges all the way around, fits in your palm. This type of material more difficult to shape than others?
 
Re: is this an "older" point

Yeah, it seems like it would more or less "shatter" if not done correctly
 
Re: is this an "older" point

As to you question- an older point- to my understanding, the earlier nomadic hunter-gatherer people actually used more well-traveled materials- because they were actually traveling- a lot (to hunt, fish, take advantage of the seasons, etc). Once people were able to settle down a bit- farm crops, stay in place and establish themselves, they started using more local lithic. Definately harder to work. We have a ton of it in the Mid-Atlantic area, and although there are exceptions, the oldest points seem to be made of - what would you call it? Trade lithic? I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get. Cheers, and happy hunting! Yakker
 
Re: is this an "older" point

I like Yakker's comments. I find quartz here in PA, and have a lot of people question it because it's not common/native. The rivers were the highways...material traveled.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom