What's new

Is this anything....? ( 2 more pics )

JUNKYARD DOG

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
754
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Probably nothing but it caught my eye. Thanks for looking. JYD...
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    20 KB · Views: 374
Re: Is this anything....?

need more angles

from that one it looks like part of a clay bell
if there were such things.

!001.webp
!002.webp

of course then I would
expect the ball
to be smaller also.
 
Re: Is this anything....?

It appears to be a concretion with some exterior layers dissolved away. These are often made of iron -- does your MD produce a signal from this object?
 
Re: Is this anything....?

Sheldon J. should see this, I think it looks like a fossilized embryo :o


GG~
 
Re: Is this anything....?

Harry Pristis said:
It appears to be a concretion with some exterior layers dissolved away. These are often made of iron -- does your MD produce a signal from this object?
I agree. it looks natural. we have similar specimens around here. not quite as unique as yours tho. even if it is not a fossil, I would keep it cuz it is such a great example of what the elements can do to rock. great find!
 
Re: Is this anything....?

Harry Pristis said:
It appears to be a concretion with some exterior layers dissolved away. These are often made of iron -- does your MD produce a signal from this object?
I checked with my detector and had no signal so Its not iron. Thanks for help. Heres a couple more pics... JYD...
 

Attachments

  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 295
That's neat Junkyard dog, I guess the ball does not come out? I would have brought it home too, whatever it is.

ng
 
Re: Is this anything....?

JUNKYARD DOG said:
I checked with my detector and had no signal so Its not iron. Thanks for help. Heres a couple more pics... JYD...

It is a concretion. The reason for no signal is that it is formed of limonite(primarily goethite)-FeO(OH)
 
"It is a concretion. The reason for no signal is that it is formed of limonite(primarily goethite)-FeO(OH)"

Hello'
Very unique find, very cool! Quick question, what do you normally do to figure out the composition of a specimen. I feel like I need to buy some kind of chemical test kit or something to figure out this stuff, way to many varieties.

Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom