Is this considered public or private property (pic)

The bottom line whether it's city property or not is what you should expect detecting such a place.
Some people on the street will open their doors and start yelling at you.
The odd person will just flat out call the cops.
Depending on how you look, some will think that you're scoping out their car, house or property for theft at a later date.
I thought that even if I just used a probe things would be better but no, people will still want to yell at you.

So, with that in mind, if you're in a fighting mood, then by all means, get into a shouting match, standing your ground that it's public property.
If you want a relaxing get away to drift off into another time, free from today's stresses, then go somewhere else!
I only do sidewalk strips/boulevards when there's a street renewal and everything is dug up.
Good luck!

Be true to you. I personally do not hunt curb strips in front of occupied homes, without permission. How would you feel if you walked out your front door and saw someone detecting your curb strip? Just because it is legal, does not make it the right thing to do. Now if the property is abandoned or vacant, than help yourself.

Yes, I agree. Thank you.

Be true to you. I personally do not hunt curb strips in front of occupied homes, without permission. How would you feel if you walked out your front door and saw someone detecting your curb strip? Just because it is legal, does not make it the right thing to do. Now if the property is abandoned or vacant, than help yourself.

I agree aiso.

Johnwon2 : It doesn't matter if they "don't bother you". The law is still the law. So you need to call everytime you get a beep on your detector, before you dig. You wouldn't want to be less-than law-abiding, would you ? :occasion18:

We have a "call before you dig" law here in CA too. Naturally, it's for deep trenching, utilities, heavy equipment tractors, etc.... But if you read closely, there is no mention made of "how deep". It merely says "all digging".

Believe it or not, this was the justification reason given a park hunter once, who had showed up at park's dept. @ his city hall for , looking for an Ok to hunt the city parks. The question got bandied around to several desks, before eventually someone showed the guy a pamphlet from the utility Co, titled "Call before you dig" . It had a pix of a back hoe on the front, with a 3 digit # to call. The fellow busted up laughing because it was plain to see that that was talking about deep excavations . So he objected telling them: "But I'm only going to be digging 6 inches, not 6 ft !" . So the city person reviewed the pamphlet more. And stood her ground noting that there was no mention of depth of hole. Just said "all digging". Doh!

This subject has come up on the forums before. And someone's mentioned that certain fiber optic lines could be a little as a foot deep ?

Ok, let's have a show of hands: How many of you are now racked with guilt ? And will thus start calling the 3 digit # whenever you dig now ? :laughing7:

I understand that... my point was they care if you are digging... regardless of what it is or the depth or what you are digging with. Sorry that you misunderstood that. Once they locate the utilities, you can dig all day long there but that tells who's liability it is if you hit and break something. You can get an exemption and do your own locates in Florida, but that's more of a discussion for a contractor board, not a metal detecting forum.

The reality is that they don't bother you around here if you're on private property even though they have the ability to.

Ok, let's have a show of hands: How many of you are now racked with guilt ? And will thus start calling the 3 digit # whenever you dig now ? :laughing7:

:hello: :hello:

:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back