Is this obsidian??

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I 619A8A25-87F6-4D43-B569-C815CC5888B9.jpeg wanted to get the opinions of this piece of what y’all think it is. Background,an old friend of mine gave me this cause he knew I collected points and stuff . He said he found it in his watermelon patch in his garden on the banks of the Kentucky river. Its translucent,I can make out a couple tiny bubbles inside the piece. My concerns is I’ve been collecting arrowheads and tools from this region for 25 years and have never seen another piece of worked glass or obsidian and it’s dull not sharp enough to cut, or is that normal for being in the ground for thousands of years moving around with the thaw freeze action of the ground.If it is obsidian how in the world did it get in south eastern ky.

Upvote 0

cavedude

Feb 2, 2020
Simi Valley
Detector(s) used
gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
California knapper. Yep Sure looks like it. If you found it in the wild it was probably traded in from the west? Unusual?

OP
OP
C

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found it myself one of my buddies found it and gave it to me. Any artifact that I don’t pick up from the earth myself goes in another box.lol cause I know what I dig up and find are genuine I guess.thanks for your reply man

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hopewell made a few large ceremonial blades out of black obsidian. It's not common to find utility blades from obsidian, but they probably didn't let smaller waste flakes go to waste.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have lots of obsidian around here. Also lots of obsidian tools...scraper, arrowheads, and other worked tools. I think the local tribes traded them to others, also.
Jim

OP
OP
C

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it normal for the point and edges to be dull to the touch if they’ve been in the ground for god knows how long? Like I’ve said I’ve found hundreds and hundreds of native artifacts but never this material. Thanks for all comments just trying to learn all I can about the material

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't tell you what it is, but it may not be obsidian. It looks more dense and thick for lack of a better term. I think it could be chert.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting piece. It certainly looks like obsidian, but it's not typical of what the very rare obsidian relics from the Midwest look like. Hopewellian Obsidian is really limited to a couple of mound groups, including the waste flakes. Most of the points are well knapped, and I don't know of any that shows as much wear as your piece does. There are some later pieces that came down the Missouri/Mississippi rivers from Montana, but they tend to be small side notch points.

It would be pretty easy to have the obsidian sourced. Some of the variation in colors come from bubbles, but the bubbles are often microscopic. How big are the tiny bubbles you mention? Grain of rice?

Any chance your friend has traveled out west and just got confused about where he found it?

OP
OP
C

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bubbles are tiny, smaller than grains of rice ,when u hold it up to light u can see right thru it. It appears to me the base has been snapped off .It is some kind of glass I just ain't never seen any volcanic glass around here and it's always been a mystery to me lol. And my buddy is an older gentleman I'd say 30 years older than me ,I doubt he has ever been out of out of Ky.The point is not thick and appears to me broke right where the base started but it ain't chert lol

SnowDigger

Jan 10, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta FORS CoRe
Nokta Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, sure looks like obsidian. The ones I have seen kept a really sharp edge, but the climate was different than in KY. Nice point!

GB Paleo

Feb 10, 2017
Out West in the Great Basin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote from Joshua...
"It would be pretty easy to have the obsidian sourced. Some of the variation in colors come from bubbles, but the bubbles are often microscopic. How big are the tiny bubbles you mention? Grain of rice?"

Here's a look at differences in Obsidian where one source that has lots of bubbles makes the material look milky and another source a containing minimal if any bubbles a dark glossy black.

Attachments

• SL.jpg
    SL.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Elko.PNG
    Elko.PNG
    94.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
C

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape and size of your black piece is really similar but mine is missing the base but thank u for posting that I believe it is the same material,it’s rare in my region and u never see the stuff,it always had me wondering how it got here,ancient people were more advanced then people give them credit for

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
You are a credit to our hobby. The only point you can trust is one you have found or you know and trust the finder. I trust my son who occasionally finds one on our farm while tending our cattle. I have hunted for 67 years and like you I never display gifts. I always suggest that the giver should start collecting themselves. After that suggestion fails accept graciously and keep it in one of my drawers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread