What's new

Is this savannah river green stone?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little more than halfway down the florida peninsula on the east coast. Would be great if this piece made its way down from there.

ForumRunner_20120822_211551.webp



ForumRunner_20120822_211742.webp



ForumRunner_20120822_211914.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow that's a weird rock for your area and would be in mine, too. Does it seem softer than chert? Greenstone is much more abradable or workable. Kinda looks like a conglomerate/baybottom but that color is really strange and it has that reddish streak. They sure were using that piece! Figure hammer or even pestle?
 
It reminds me of this mineral on a quartz that I found. I forget the name of it, but can easily find out if it matches your piece.

image-3661723994.webp
 
It's extreamly hard and dense. Heavy sucker. I agree with hammer or pestel. Only one like it I have found. There was an antler billet close to it. Its harder than the chert. Thinking hammer
 
Last edited:
OK..back to my topic. I had a thought that it looked a bit like a ballast stone and with the shipwrecks in my area and the role the Ais tribe played during that time I searched only a little and found this from a 1700's spanish wreck site.hmmmm.. very interesting

_B749hQw_Wk_KGrHqIOKp_Ey_jC_vD2BM1jSlBPnw__3.webp
 
Last edited:
Here are a couple cobbles I found here in Indiana almost resembling yours. Glacial deposits. Once in a great moon I'd find a chip of this stuff. Then found a couple cobbles, then last year a broken artifact of it in the bottom right. I tried making a point out of it also. Very heavy also.
IMG_0470.webp
IMG_0468.webp
IMG_0471.webp
 
Last edited:
Very interesting..thanks. It's a long way from home to be here whatever it turns out to be.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom