Is This Stone Carving Nephrite Jade ?

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The location of this carved stone is China. The estate sale was from a gentleman that was in Asia in the 1970's. The stone has a decent weight for its size, polished area has a shiny waxy lustre and under black light the creamy-white mineral inside the darker lines shows up purple. This was available in China and my research shows the Nephrite jade is a variety of the calcium, magnesium, and iron-rich amphibole minerals tremolite or actinolite.

Colors range from translucent to opaque and often mottled. Light to dark green, yellow to brown, white, gray, black.
Although I am not 100% certain all roads for me are leaning towards Nephrite Jade. All thoughts and comments welcome. Thanks to all ......

Attachments

• Mask Pair 1.jpg
    Mask Pair 1.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Mask Pair 3.jpg
    Mask Pair 3.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna say yes. With the waxy luster it looks just like modern nephrite carvings I own.
Appreciate your input blauer. The big auction companies such as Christies deal with and handle Chinese/Asian
items and certainly would know. I am going to send them pictures and inquiry and hopefully get a reply as the worst that can happen is nothing...
Thanks again & have a good one .......

Upvote 2

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your input Yang Hao. Following up on your thoughts this certainly could be Shoushan Stone as it does come in a variety of colors and Shoushan stone is, for collectors, one of the most coveted of all stones.
The example in the auction is similar with the shape & size. The artist signature is different and as you pointed out mine is much lighter in color with it being more of a creamy-white with light green high lights. ( Picture attached that shows as close to true color) I am told the artist signature on mine is " Xisheng". I have researched this name and cannot find anything. I did send some pictures to Christies Auction and it will be 3-4 weeks before I get a reply so it will be interesting to see what they say about the carving such as type of stone, date and location of where it was done.

Thanks again appreciate your thoughts.......

Attachments

• Mask Pair 3.jpg
    Mask Pair 3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 2

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more I can say about your find. 希 xi means hope in Chinese (also means rare or uncommon). As for a date the character 希 has been used since China's bronze age which unfortunately does not narrow down a date. Please post any new info you find about this carving.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more I can say about your find. 希 xi means hope in Chinese (also means rare or uncommon). As for a date the character 希 has been used since China's bronze age which unfortunately does not narrow down a date. Please post any new info you find about this carving.
At this point all I have gotten is that the signature is " Xisheng " and rare. After a lot of research I cannot find any information on Xisheng so I am uncertain as to what the name refers to. You also mentioned rare so now I understand that is what the character says. Thanks for your follow up as it is appreciated and I will post any new updates regarding this as I get them...

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions