Is this the Rock?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks! I'm traveling up river looking for new spots to prospect. I have read in numerous times that you need to find mineral stained rocks if you want to find gold. I took this picture so that you good people could teach me. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467921233.549411.jpg
It breaks easily with a rock pick. Recently I traveled to this same spot and looks like someone was chipping on some spots. Could this be a spot to prospect?

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that a fresh break there?

The green is nothing. The rust and black colors COULD be, but can't tell if those colors are IN or ON the rock.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, chip a chunk off, take it home, crush it and pan. See whatcha get. If the dark colors are throughout the rock, that's what I'd be doin'!!

Also, heat a piece of the darker material with a torch and see if it smells like rotten eggs. If so, that'll be sulfide ore, which needs more than simple crushing. ...Just don't breath a lot of the fumes. Gold ores often contain arsenic, mercury, lead and other hazardous minerals as well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have been misinformed. SAMPLE, SAMPLE, SAMPLE! Stop looking for stained rocks and start doing sample pans. :skullflag:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, if he's looking for a place to set up a sluice or highbanker, you're right. Sampling all the way. I assumed (gets me in trouble every time!) that he was looking for the source of the gold - trying to find the most likely point of the richest ground.

If THIS is the case, then do both - sample the gravels and also keep an eye out for heavily mineralized rocks, not unlike that one. Then sample the rocks. Obviously that is just a rock and no longer attached to the lode. But it would be a good indicator that he's getting warmer.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically thats a corner. Theres a huge rock coming out of the mountain where the river flows thats all like that. Same material, same color and hardness. I was thinking that it could be a vein?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be. ...Is "everything" covered in the green coating there? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions