Is this what I think it is...?

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was invited out with my detector to a farm that belongs to some family friends this weekend and I had an excellent time. I plan to post my MD finds later when I get more time but I just couldn't wait to get some opinions on this one..

While detecting a large unplanted field area something with a very familiar shape caught my eye, I glanced over and sure enough it was an arrowhead and the first one I've found since I was a kid, I was very pleased. When I showed it to the landowners they acted like it was as common as finding a modern penny in a parking lot.. They then proceeded to show me 3 display cases full of arrowheads, spear points, pottery shards and various other artifacts, many of which were in excellent condition and I'd never seen the likes of..all recovered on the property over the years. At this point I was absolutely intrigued and they directed me to a large creek bed that ran along the edge of the property where they said many of the artifacts were found, I headed in that direction with haste.

I searched the creek for a couple hours until I came upon a large clay shelf where the bank was collapsed and I saw a strange shape sticking out of the thick grey clay..if it wasnt for the strangely perfect hole bored in the end of the object I would have passed it up without a second glance. I reached down and pulled it out of the ground and when I wiped some of the dirt away I could see what appeared to be a face carved in the front and an indentation in the top which was packed full but I figured it was a second hole..I was ecstatic at the thought of what this could be. I showed it to the landowners and they congratulated me on my find and said they thought it might be an "effigy pipe" and possibly crafted by the Shawnee? who were widespread through the area.

I took it home and gingerly cleaned its orifices with warm water a bit of dish soap and some toothpicks/qtips..this is the result.

effigy2.jpgeffigy4.jpgeffigy5.jpgeffigy6.jpgeffigy8.jpgeffigy11.jpgeffigy12.jpg

After I cleaned it I couldn't help but feel as if I just made a mistake, even though I was very careful. Was this a bad idea?

I would also love to hear any opinions on the objects age /origin or otherwise that you knowledgeable folks out there can offer.

Thanks for reading and HH,

Chris

Upvote 14
Almost forgot..the arrowhead used in the photos was the one I found on the property and both were found in southwestern Ohio.

looks like an effigy pipe to me and a really cool one at that. wow what a find!

Wow. Little doubt it is an effigy pipe. That is an awesome find.:icon_thumleft:

Some folks will probably advise against cleaning it other than a light soak in water. If you are worried that it is too clean, just bury it for a few weeks or months and everything should get back to how it was over the past hundreds of years!

By the way, nice finds!

Frank

Awesome finds! Looks like a snake effigy pipe to me! I would post in North American artifacts forum if you want more insight.

What an awesome find.

Amazing find, the details of the snake are clear and obvious. Awesome job, I even vote banner !

Keep @ it and HH !!

Last edited:
Great find yep its an effigy pipe and a cool one to boot. Wonder what they smoked in it?

Awesome effigy pipe!!!! And, do not let anyone make you feel bad about finding and keeping it.... You were on private property with full permission and blessing of the owners. Great find!

Awesome find, but I would argue it is a turtle versus a snake. The nostrils are at the tip of the rostrum vs on the side. Very cool find though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back