Is this what i think it is?

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an effigy of a face IMO...

IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2090.JPG

Nose is on the right side of the 2nd picture

first picture shows the 2 feathers on top of the head as well as the rather large nose..

So basically what im wondering is this an effigy or? Appears to be made of copper, found in southeast gerogia on an actual indian camp (have found an arrow head/pottery there..)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a pendant or charm to me, but someone will come along in a bit and have more info I'm sure. I'd be excited about it too!

So it is an effigy? im not seeing things? Lol

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only copper utilized by pre-Historic Native Americans in Georgia was during the Rood II Phase and late Mississippian period. It was hammered and riveted. That piece looks cast or poured. Are you sure it is copper? It doesn't show any signs of oxidation.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only copper utilized by pre-Historic Native Americans in Georgia was during the Rood II Phase and late Mississippian period. It was hammered and riveted. That piece looks cast or poured. Are you sure it is copper? It doesn't show any signs of oxidation.

Well it made a metal detector beep so xD
Not sure about cast.. has no sign of a seem line..

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant figure out what metal it is... it goes off with a metal detector.. but doesnt leave a scratch mark like copper, bronze, or brass... and i doubt its silver... Is there pottery/clay that had metal mixed in with it for sturdiness by any chance?

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did alot of looking up... it appears to actually be some kind of hematite or possibly hematite clay..

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hematite sounds more reasonable. It could set off your detector too.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to contact the college in our area tomorrow. Going to see about getting it authenticated.

Seems indian to me, right material, looks like an indian, found on an indian settlement... im going with indian lol.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Going to contact the college in our area tomorrow. Going to see about getting it authenticated.

Seems indian to me, right material, looks like an indian, found on an indian settlement... im going with indian lol.

i think it is natural ...especially if it is stone...but I can't wait for you to get it looked at.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got word back from a historical archaeologist. She said its hard to tell what it is without the context of where it was found. HOWEVER she said and i quote "It certainly looks to be a small pendant" Also: "More importantly, since the artifact has been removed from the surrounding soil layers, what we call the context, it has lost much of it's information"

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks for getting back to us...a lot of folks don't

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have good news! I showed it to someone at church and they recognized it! He said they had them all over the place in Hawaii. They represented family members... so this was based off an actual person! They made them up until the 1800s. But based on the pottery shards found in the area it probably dates back alot further. So it IS Indian and did represent someone.... However i talked to a police officer im friends with... and it is illegal to sell in georgia. Because they were also used in prayers / festivals... so it is a cultural item, which in georgia is illegal to sell... So i technically found a priceless artifact...

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Hawaiians are not Indians...can you find examples from Hawaii?

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawaiians are not Indians...can you find examples from Hawaii?

I know they arent... But they had indians there and have similar culture items... And no i cant i dont know exactly what there called in hawaii... But knowing that old tribal nations used those effigies... and mine being found at a indian settlement where i have found indian items before... confirms its most likely indian.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really nice find, congrats!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
you should have a geologist look at it from the local Univ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread